Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Scottsbluff?

Junior Relic Hunter

Scottsbluff?

Name:  155_2090.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  32.7 KBName:  155_2091.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  21.2 KB This point was found in Northeastern South Dakota in the 1950's I purchased from a guy at a flea market in Brookings. Just wondering what you think on type? Looks like a nice piece. I hope its a Scottsbluff but not sure. Thanks.
    artifact Jack likes this.

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    Im no expert but I don't think Scotty. I cant see the flaking well but I do see some flat spots on the blade and the flaking looks somewhat random. Once again, Im no expert but I rarely see flat spots on Scotty blades. they generally are parallel flaked to a median ridge.
    Panola likes this.
    Resident collective leg puller!

Tribal Council Member
    Gar is right on

Junior Relic Hunter
    Ok thanks for your knowledge. Any idea what type of it could be or just a random?

Artifact Jedi
    Alberta, but after reviewing several Scottys namely the one inn Overstreets 11th edition page 989 top for a Scotty with as many flat spots as Texas. But Im thinking Alberta because the weak shoulders give it away however the stem is a tad short for an Alberta but I have seen them almost exactly like this point. And FYI there are plenty Cody Complex points with flat spots, especially in the north. You have to remember not everybody was an artisan. Would like to see a cross section though.
    Last edited by jamiebenedickt; 02-27-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Any questions about pieces need to go in this forum, the What In The World forum.

Thank you.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

It could also be a Kramer or any number of stemmed Archaic points.

Tribal Council Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krode08 View Post
    Ok thanks for your knowledge. Any idea what type of it could be or just a random?
    To get a good opinion from members it would be best to have good clear pictures.
    Try natural lighting out side and set your camera to macro without the flash.
    Typology from pictures is tough. Best to provide a scale, picture of cross section,,and perhaps one with a little angle to show flaking. Also plz. Take note of the sticky notes at the heading of each section when posting. Moderators work hard to keep the site organized and managed.
    Best regards/////c
    jamiebenedickt likes this.
    Forty Six & 2 ///// Catch

Senior Arrowheadologist
    I am in the group wit its not Cody related, but an archaic point.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by comanche View Post
    To get a good opinion from members it would be best to have good clear pictures.
    Try natural lighting out side and set your camera to macro without the flash.
    Typology from pictures is tough. Best to provide a scale, picture of cross section,,and perhaps one with a little angle to show flaking. Also plz. Take note of the sticky notes at the heading of each section when posting. Moderators work hard to keep the site organized and managed.
    Best regards/////c
    Ok I will take more pictures and post tonight. It's not as flat as it appears.
    Could anyone please identify the material. I always thought Burlington chert but it's from South Dakota Minnesota North Dakota border.

I apologize mods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast