Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Ecolodges this be a bajada?(blunt point)

Arrowheadologist

Ecolodges this be a bajada?(blunt point)

Alright I'm sure everyone is getting a little tired of me by now! Found this 2 days ago and thought it was a base to what my buddy's and I refer to as a teardrop knife. But under closer examination I noticed that the edge was heavily ground and what I thought was the base has no grinding to it! What first threw me off was the fact that the other side of the base didn't feel like it was ground. After studying it, it became clear that above where the shoulder would be is a pretty big flake taken off and above the main base break there are a couple of little nicks taken out. But if you look close enough there is an area maybe 3/32" where the basal grinding is still present. So now I have evidence of basal grinding on both sides and 1 shoulder still in tact! Recently I read an article about a road project a mile away from my house where they uncovered a site that shows use from historic all the way to paleo and had a picture of two of the points they found. One is a lake Mohave that looks almost identical to the first LM I ever found and a bajada. My friends and I have always referred to them as blunt points. I'll try and post the pic or atleast a link to the pic. Anyway I see some striking resemblances. They both seem to have a sun ray type flaking pattern to the tip and the shoulders look a lot alike also. Oh how I wish it had the base on it! Blunts are such a neat looking point, it's always been on my wish list! I know it's not whole but still a pretty nice piece all the same. Found this at the same spot as the rest of my paleo finds (LM's, Clovis bases, haskett bases, and a plainview). So the site and it's characteristics have got me thinking maybe, just maybe I have a blunt point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And please be brutally honest! Thanks guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS

Arrowheadologist
    The first pic shows a couple nicks, the second you can see the gray line from the basal grinding on the edge, and the last pic shows the big flake that was taken off which took the shoulder with it! Oh and by the way, I couldn't wait any longer to take those pics. The last 2 days I didn't get home til after dark and will most likely be that way all week! I'm hoping the amount of pics and my description will help but if not I will do anything I can in hopes of id'ing this piece. Here's a couple pics from the article. That would have sure been a fun dig! To bad it wasn't on my property!
    parkercrazy99 likes this.

Arrowheadologist
    Well I mean to say is it a knife base in my title not ecolodges!!! Stupid spell check!!! Hope people will actually look! Sorry guys!

Tribal Council Member
    Sure looks like it was blunted and another one in the Great Basin Stemmed series...LM, Silver Lake. Not familiar with Bajada.
    Blade Hunter likes this.

Where did you get that keen archaeologist's rule?
    sandman5 likes this.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Arrowheadologist
    Desert walker. That's not my pic, that's from a site found about a mile away from my house. The small one is called a bajada and looks a lot like mine but smaller! Thanks for the help guys!

Arrowheadologist
    Deleted post
    Last edited by J_rich35; 10-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Arrowheadologist
    Well here's some better pics, I had a buddy who thinks the part of the base with those nicks in it are purposeful flakes, where I feel they came from accidental/incidental breaks after it was finished. Thought these pics might show it better. Not trying to prove him wrong or me right, just want some additional thoughts from others. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by J_rich35; 10-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Arrowheadologist
    The second to last pic shows where a tiny part of the original basal grinding is still intact. You can see one big flake scar that is way below thespian line. Right next to that is the grinding(maybe a 1/16" long). After that there's a couple more nicks taken away from the original edge. The first pic shows side b and you can see 2 shiny new flake scars right at the bottom of the chipped basal side. Pic#4 shows the heavy basal grinding on the intact side. I think pics 2 and 3 show the knapping really good and from pictures I've seen of these points, looks spot on but I'm no expert! Hopefully you guys are seeing what I'm seeing! Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by J_rich35; 10-17-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Arrowheadologist
    Think I gotta little carried away, so I deleted a couple posts. Wasn't trying to come off the way I did. Sorry guys, I'll stick to the main topic from now on
    Last edited by J_rich35; 10-17-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    DesertWalker likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast