Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flint Effigy

Arrowheadologist

Flint Effigy

Howdy all, I have been looking for arrowheads for some time and finally found one. That sparked my interest to keep looking so I have been on a tear for about a month and I found something I have never seen before. I thought it was an incomplete hand axe at first but it didn't look normal. I took it home with the other finds and couldn't see what it was. It had marks made from a hand so I kept trying to see what kind of tool it was. Then I turned it a certain way and bam.....a face. Anyone seen this type of work before? Any idea of how old it is? I found it in Central Texas.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Incoming!!!

Tribal Council Member
    Not it!

Arrowheadologist
    Last edited by Displaced Hunter; 02-27-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Tribal Council Member
    I see natural breaks inherent to that type of stone would could be mistaken for flaking but I fail to see a face. Additionally, works of flint, bone, hardstone, etc.. which are attributed to native arts are generally not ambiguous but rather, clear works of art. I would imagine you have an interesting rock with features that make a face, one of the most instintually recognizable features for people, appear to you.
    ... I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself.
    Lone Man (Isna-la-wica) Teton Sioux

Tribal Council Member
    Here is my "seal spear" I got from DB. The brown line in the material. Head to the left, flipper on the bottom and tail to the right.
    ... I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself.

Quote Originally Posted by drdave514 View Post
    Here is my "seal spear" I got from DB. The brown line in the material. Head to the left, flipper on the bottom and tail to the right.
    Dr. Dave,

Sorry to sidetrack a thread, but I think your seal spear is significant.

A key piece missing from the Solutrean first theory are the famous cave paintings that Solutreans left in Spain and France, your piece is clearly a direct connection to that lost art form. And it proves they ate seals, which would allow them to survive along the leading edge of the Arctic ice.

Joshua

Armadillo,

I actually do see the face in that one, I would have kept it. That said, it's a geofact.

(Chin, frown, nose, eye going up the left side.)

Joshua

Tribal Council Member
    Ok, I kind of see the face now that you say 'up the left side'. Definitely a keeper rock, but just a rock all the same.

I'd be on board with the seal/solutrean theory except it was found in Tennessee. Not to mention being made thousands of years later.

Tribal Council Member
    I see it now he's looking left with his brain on the outside .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast