Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Thread: Scalpel?

Relic Hunter

Scalpel?

I found this outside of a rock shelter here in western West Virginia. I think that the pictures do this thing justice so I dont have to say too much about it. All I want to point out is that none of this thing has the rind on it and it is flaked all over. I really dont think this is just a flake. Maybe I am just a flake but I think this is something. Any imput would be great. Thank you.

Oh yeah, when I was loading the pics I realized I didn't take a pic showing the thickness. I is about as thick as a nickle maybe a little more...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The thing that amazed him most, was that the holes in the cat's hide were exactly where the eyes should be.

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    I wonder if this item might just be a 'splitter' that has been salvaged into a cutting type of a tool. In other words, an impacted side notcher point that broke into two halves, then this portion was reworked for continued re-usage in some way. Definitely a keeper. My 2 cents worth.
    Maybe next time zig before you zag !

veteran missouri digger
    Agree with Q that this was previously something else and seen continued re-use as some kind of tool. I think a nice long thin flake with no reworked edges would serve as a better choice for a surgical type scalpel.

Also looks like the peice may have been exposed to extreme heat/fire and that's what caused the damage and broke in such a unique shape and form. Just theorizing,,, Jason

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    " I really dont think this is just a flake. Maybe I am just a flake but I think this is something."

What it is is totally awesome!!! Thanks for show'n. Is this a recent find?

Tribal Council Member
    Great call by N - lol. A closer look does seem to be more fire-popped in nature. Especially on the top photo.
    Maybe next time zig before you zag !

Relic Hunter
    Who knows? Yes sixeight, I found this yesterday. I had also thought it was the edge of a stemmed point, especially when I first found it. I don't know what it is, but it sure looks cool to me.
    The thing that amazed him most, was that the holes in the cat's hide were exactly where the eyes should be.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Yesterday! That's cool!!!!