Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the only Barber that I've ever found, does have basal grinding. Yours does look similar.

3 Central Texas points for I.D. help-barber-jpg
    MATO OYATE LILA WAKAN

Flint Stalker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a Kinney or a heavily resharpened perd. Outside points are castroville.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Tehuacana! That is a real beauty, thank you so much for sharing. This point is not a personal find but comes from a highly respected well known dealer in the area. He was not around when I bought it and did not know the type, but it was too pretty not to buy.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Looks like a Kinney or a heavily resharpened perd. Outside points are castroville.
    Thank you so much for you reply and JayR. I can see how those are possible as well. I do not know of the specific attribute to type it for sure.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    In looking at the picture of the known Barber Tehuacana nicely posted, I notice that it wider relative to height than this point. Other than that I am not seeing any real difference.

Flint Stalker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehuacana View Post
    Here's the only Barber that I've ever found, does have basal grinding. Yours does look similar.

3 Central Texas points for I.D. help-barber-jpg
    This point looks classic Kinney dart point. The flaking looks archaic.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been questioned before but I had all 4 of the arch's look at it at Hester's book signing and that's the general consensus. It was found in the same level as Andice, Angostura, and Hardin, well below the Archaic level. Kinney points are not ground as this one is, nor do they have the body thickness as this Barber does.
    MATO OYATE LILA WAKAN

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    This point looks classic Kinney dart point. The flaking looks archaic.
    JayR I appreciate your post. I checked a 2nd book with actual photos and totally see what you mean. Good thing for me is I do not have a Kinney either. I am trying to slowly build a collection that has at least one of every type of artifact that would have been ever made in Central Texas. That is my goal and I doubt I will ever reach it, but it is fun to try!

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehuacana View Post
    It's been questioned before but I had all 4 of the arch's look at it at Hester's book signing and that's the general consensus. It was found in the same level as Andice, Angostura, and Hardin, well below the Archaic level. Kinney points are not ground as this one is, nor do they have the body thickness as this Barber does.
    Sounds like yours is a Barber for sure based on that. This one is very similar with a slight difference I mentioned earlier. I can see how it can be viewed as Barber or Kinney. Given I do not know where it came from, this might be one that I should have Mr. Rogers look check out for me.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kinney and ET's are some of the most common points I've found in So.Tex, I have three frames full of them. Several Kinney's have concave bases, none are ground.
    MATO OYATE LILA WAKAN