Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotts Bluff ?

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

Scotts Bluff ?

This point has not been framed as of yet as I'm not quite sure that it's a Scotty or not. I think it is but it's so small and a expended Hardin keeps me guessing. It has Scotts Bluff flaking not like a Hardins, it is 2-9/16" long. and .237 thick with a lot of re-sharpening. Found in NE MO. Any input will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images Scotts Bluff ?-mvc-205s-jpg Scotts Bluff ?-mvc-206s-jpg Scotts Bluff ?-mvc-207s-jpg Scotts Bluff ?-mvc-209s-jpg Scotts Bluff ?-mvc-213s-jpg 

2. Likes donnie d, Cisco Jack, joshuaream, Papajoe liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll go with Scotty on that one. Besides the silhouette, I see basal grinding, horizontal flaking and a median ridge.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure a beauty what ever it is.
    say what you mean & mean what you say !

Artifact collector
    Post Thanks / Like
    The elongated stem and flaking tells me harden and not a Scotty imo.
    ...from the deepest bowels of East Texas

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are all the things that lead me to Scotts Bluff. The parallel oblige flaking the ground base, the overall shape the median ridge and the resharpening on all 4 faces not like the 2 edge sharpening bevel shape the Hardins get The site has produced a lot of Hardins for me and several that lost almost all their barbs leaving a Scotty looking base.I think this has been a much longer point at one time due to it's thickness. The thing that bothers me is the basal thinning I don't think is a feature of Scotties ? After all these years one would think I could be positive on a ID ? I just wanted more opinions to be sure. Thank you Tdog. & Jon E Busch
    Last edited by Oldrocks; 09-13-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spellin

Post Thanks / Like
    The part that screams Hardin to me is the circular flake scar in the notch (the shadow in a couple of pictures really highlights it.)

You see that same style of notch flake in a lot of early archaic points (Calf Creek, Andice, Dovetail, Lost Lake, Thebes, and in the ears of Hardins.) When Scotties have pronounced ears, the flaking is often more narrow and into the base, not into the corner if that makes sense.

The other feature that says Hardin to me is that it was found on a site that has produced other Hardins. Hardins are often found on sites with other Hardins, unless it's a kill site or a really rare camp site Scottsbluff points are usually isolated finds. East Texas and Louisiana seem to be a place where there is a bit of an exception to that, quite a few Scotties have been found on sites over the years. Elsewhere they seem to have been a bit more nomadic following resources. Hardin users might have seen a dramatic drop in migratory bison and such, and likely ate a lot more deer. The Younger Dryas had come and passed, but the impacts probably took a while to shake out for big species like bison.

Cool old point any way you shake it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The C flakes in the notches make me think Hardin. As Joshua pointed out....the shadows show some characteristics. I see a more of a check mark notch that is characteristic of Hardins

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hardin
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hardin The shoulders droop and there is no thinning flake running perpendicular to the axis of the blade starting where the blade begins and the base ends!
    Last edited by FIRSTVIEW; 09-14-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hardin.