Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

Geofact ? Artifact

Wouldn't bother to post this if I found it in a creek but was found on a village site yrs. ago. A site we have taken 100s of artifacts from. They range from paleo to mississippian. I believe the cavity is natural but the work on one end looks man made and the other shows use. The stone fits in my hand like it was made to hold with the cavity under the fingers and it fits like a glove. I am trying to convince myself that the cavity wasn't used for something and to make things more complicated is the stone in the last photo found a yr. later in about the same area. I really don't think they are related but my buddy laughs and said sure they are. I believe the stone was picked up and used as a hammer stone but the work on one end makes holding it with the cavity up. The cavity shows some wear that I can see or might be trying to see. Your opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images Geofact ? Artifact-1-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-2-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-3-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-4-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-5-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-6-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-7-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll get a better response here in this forum. It is meant for ID questions. Thank you.

A lot of those look worked to me. Can we see more pictures if the last one? That looks very interesting.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

3. Likes uniface liked this post
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has been used for something. Too small for acorn mash and shows no deposits of hematite or ocher stain as is usual with hematite.
    Attached Images Attached Images Geofact ? Artifact-1-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-2-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-3-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-4-jpg Geofact ? Artifact-5-jpg 

5. Likes uniface, tomclark liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a little portable pestle mortar combo to me.

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dart View Post
    Looks like a little portable pestle mortar combo to me.
    Ya me to but. If they would of been found together in a dig there would be no doubt but found a year apart even in about the same spot just isn't proof. In 50 yrs. I have found the missing half of a point about 1 time. I try talking myself into believing they are a match but will never know for sure. Together they look like a miniature apothecary but they do display well together. I get the question from some, Is that real, all I can say is Found in the same area. Will never have a answer so thought I'd post it here for thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images Geofact ? Artifact-mvc-218s-jpg 

8. Likes tomclark, kirby, Dennis, uniface, Cisco Jack liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unlike bases, the distal halves of broken points would not ordinarily have been carried back home. Look at the Vail site for examples. A mortar and pestle, on the other hand, would rarely have been separated.

FWIW
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

10. Likes ceezee liked this post
    PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Artifacts
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

12. Likes kirby, uniface liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never found a portable mortar here. They may have been used but if so I never found one. There are a lot of bedrock mortars in my area. All I know is it looks like what I am used to seeing just smaller.

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen the Cal. bedrock cavities for grinding grains etc. they were large and several in one slab. This is too small for that use and have to think powdering material for paint ? The site produces paleo through mississippian artifacts so would be hard to place in time frame, just don't know. Trying to figure out if the hole is man made or nature. I am sure the dished area is man made as is the rear area but the hole ? Has anyone found a pestil that is this small ?
    Last edited by Oldrocks; 05-16-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Desert Bound
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen small ones similar to yours from California and the Great Basin. I'll post a picture of one later if I remember. From the pictures, yours looks more like it was altered than just natural.