Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Preform..smokin material there..
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems Central TX is chock full of great material. Iíve got some Brushy Creek black modules on my patio that just decorate the garden. Hoping to get a smoker out the area this biface came from, I found a broke base there that you could darn near read a newspaper through.

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Middenight View Post
    Yes hummingbird, it was. This area has flakes on every square foot of soil, no exaggeration. Iíve found 2 broken and one complete point in addition to this big piece.
    Okay, yeah, that was what I was thinking. In that case it likely is the biface making site near the rock source. The idea there was to make preforms to take away to finish later. Kind of like a sawmill: Make lumber then use it later to build whatever you need. They often left behind broken or partially worked pieces which could be finished, but must have been smaller than they wanted, or otherwise "out of spec" for that knapper at that time. It's what I call "wasteful efficiency", since you can only carry away so much rock, make it how you want it. Usually at sites like that you don't find "points" or "tools", since anything worth while made there was taken elsewhere. There can be exceptions, though. Sometimes awesome biface caches are found at or near such sites. Sounds like a really cool site!