Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  4
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a rock or something more?

While digging through the dirt about 50 yards from lake Apopka in central Florida I came across this and I'd just like to know if I've got a standard rock here or if it's something more. It looks like it's broken in half and I couldn't locate the other half. Anyway, any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images Just a rock or something more?-img_7083-jpg Just a rock or something more?-img_7082-jpg Just a rock or something more?-img_7081-jpg Just a rock or something more?-img_7080-jpg 

2. Likes Woodland, rookie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's a broken biface (a piece of stone with flakes taken off both sides.)

I probably wasn't a finished tool yet. People knocked them out at the quarry to reduce the weight they were carrying, and they also carried them to take off razor sharp flakes (a core.)

Nice find, there is probably more to be found in the general area if you own the land or have permission to dig.

4. Likes uniface liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never regret getting old, it's a privilege that many don't get!

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thx for the help. Funny thing is I wasn't even looking for anything... basically kicking some dirt around while walking through an old orange grove and this biface happened to be there. I've never once looked for arrow heads or artifacts but I'll admit, finding this has peaked my interest a little. To go back with the intention of looking for things I'll have to find out who owns the land and see if I can get permission.

Thanks again,

7. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

info

You should locate the hot springs if you know where they are just watch out for those super large gators that live in the area. Its been so long since I have been there might be homes located there by now.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, I've lived by the lake my whole life and I've never heard of the hot springs... I'm in winter garden, do you know what side of the lake the hot springs is located?

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a Georgia find?
    The harder the hunt, the sweeter the prize!

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, found it by Lake Apopka in Central Florida.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmichels View Post
    Interesting, I've lived by the lake my whole life and I've never heard of the hot springs... I'm in winter garden, do you know what side of the lake the hot springs is located?
    You can go to the local bait shop and ask Im sure they know how to get there. I use to live in Wintergarden for a few years and worked there longer. I can tell you how I use to go to them if you send me a Private Message I sure dont want to put it over the internet for all to see or you might have company. Id like to know your last name to in the message I might know you or your family.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.