Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  2
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help identifying (Very new at this)

I took my kids to my brother in-laws land about 2 months ago here in Vicksburg, MS. He has a creek running through the back of his property. The creek is absolutely gigantic, 50+ ft wide in some spots and gravel as far as you can see. I've been many times but have never thought to look for Indian artifacts... I was never really interested. But this last time, i stumbled upon what looked like a broken arrowhead (as shown in the first pic). I think I was immediately hooked after that. I found about 8 rocks and stone that day that looked like they had been worked. I went back with my dog the next week and found a bunch of what looks like tools and a clay pipe. I took the pipe to my parents in fear of one my kids finding and breaking it. I will post a pic of it soon. I still haven't found an intact arrowhead, I have read up on how to creek hunt but this creek is so freaking big and full of gravel, it has become a little overwhelming. But I'll figure it out the more I go.

Could someone please tell me what these are in the pics below if anything?

The first pics is a few of the rocks I found on the first day.

The last 4 pics are the same rock, it looks like it's been worked but I'm not sure.

Need help identifying (Very new at this)-img_6974-jpgNeed help identifying (Very new at this)-img_6967-jpgNeed help identifying (Very new at this)-img_6968-jpgNeed help identifying (Very new at this)-img_6969-jpgNeed help identifying (Very new at this)-img_6970-jpg

2. Likes Butch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first rock has been knapped, appears to be broken.
    2nd & 3rd may or may not have been knapped.
    4th looks like big piece of gravel.
    Never regret getting old, it's a privilege that many don't get!

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the site from just a few miles east of you. I agree with Cisco that the piece on the left in the first pic appears to have been altered by man. That being said, I'm not sure what it was supposed to be, but could have been an adze at one time in the past. The next two pieces (from left to right) could have had flakes removed, but the probability decreases as you move to the right in the picture. The last piece looks to be naturally fractured, although it is always possible that a few flakes were removed and the water erosion has removed all concrete evidence. Don't give up for sure. Any creek in that area will have artifacts, but as you mentioned, it is overwhelming to look at all that gravel. But you will get better the more you look. Every time I pass that big golf course creek in Bovina I dream of how many points are in there, but are probably hard to find in all that gravel. When you find these creek tumbled pieces that look flaked, you should typically be able to see radiating semi-circles from the point of impact if the flake was removed by man (google bulb of percussion pictures). If I had a relative that had a creek in Vicksburg like you describe, I would check there often. And if I wasn't finding any rocks I liked, I would be swinging a metal detector. Depending on where you are talking about, it is very possible that your relative has a campsite on his property. Vicksburg, as you know, is out of the alluvial plain, so camps can be a little more difficult to pin point compared to every directions around there (other side of the river is flat, south is flat, north is flat, and east is hilly but lower). But if he has a high point near the creek, there's a better than average chance that at some time in the last few thousand years that someone camped there and lost some stuff. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by rookie; 10-13-2017 at 12:59 AM.

5. Likes Cisco Jack liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st 3 look like they might be worked on last one might be natural or a test rock to see if it could be used. Guess if it wasnt what they wanted it probably got tossed cause I dont see much work on it.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! i'm sure I will be posting more pictures and asking questions in the future . I really appreciate it.