Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  3
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Beuatiful but broken? what could it have been?

Found this along the banks of the Colorado River here in Fayette County Texas. It's really nicely worked but I guess its broke off? Any Ideals what it might be or could have been? It's about 1.5 inches long and wide and very thin. Three of the four edges are sharp and one side is smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images Beuatiful but broken?  what could it have been?-fullsizerender-jpg Beuatiful but broken?  what could it have been?-img_6002-jpg 

2. Likes swataramike liked this post
    PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    could be a scraper or a broke piece...looks like some really sweet matierial..do you ever fimd any big pieces of that rock laying around...?
    When you are riding in a time machine way far into the future,
    Do not stick your elbow out of the window, Or it will turn into a fossil.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I've never seen any rock like this around the area but I have found some really pretty pieces made from all different colors all within 50 foot radius and every one of them seems to be snapped off.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it worked on both sides or just one?
    It looks a little bit like an end scraper, but I'm not qualified to make such a determination.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's worked on both sides.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like it is worked on three sides and the fourth is broken. If that is the case it could be a base of a stemmed item or it could be a knife that broke. It is almost impossible to tell when there is that little. If you are finding a lot of bases and they are all quite small it COULD have been a location where they would rearm their projectiles that were broken during the hunt. If they were too small to turn into another useful tool like a knife or scraper they would discard. Every area you come across tells a story. They would not throw anything out if it could be used for another purpose because in a lot of cases they could be quite a distance from the tool stone source and they had to walk it. Love the material. Love to see what else you found in that area.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a look at all the pieces that are broken off similar to one another. All of these were found close to each other. I've been wondering about them because they are so well done, seems maybe a little too well down to be a scrapper. The black stripped one has the majority of my interest if anybody has any ideas on it that would be awesome. And I'm guessing the brown one tht looks like a knife blade was a knife blade. Very interested as to what time period they are from?
    Attached Images Attached Images Beuatiful but broken?  what could it have been?-20293105_10154833010097654_5677709899892140724_n-jpg Beuatiful but broken?  what could it have been?-img_5639-jpg Beuatiful but broken?  what could it have been?-img_5511-jpg Beuatiful but broken?  what could it have been?-img_5998-jpg Beuatiful but broken?  what could it have been?-fullsizerender-jpg 
    Last edited by Ashlee&chris; 09-14-2017 at 11:56 PM.

9. Likes James Huffman liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    High-angled working edge = scraper.

Low-angled working edge = knife.

11. Likes kirby liked this post