Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint

Any ideas what these are? I found both in separate locations Ohio. The stone ball is drilled clean through and was discovered in a field near a well-known paleo settlement, shortly before the whole site was obliterated for retail and residential construction, but long after a major, years-long archeological excavation removed most of the interesting items.

The larger flint/chert item was found in a farm field and appears to be a scraper to me, also paleo. Am I correct?

Thanks for any and all thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint-img_0323-jpg Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint-img_0322-jpg Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint-img_0321-jpg Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint-img_0320-jpg 

2. Likes swataramike liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you put a light behind the hole and get a picture through the hole towards the light
    ? looking for drill marks .

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tough to get the phone to focus so close but maybe this will help
    Attached Images Attached Images Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint-img_0332-jpg Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint-img_0327-jpg Two Neat Items I Found Several Years Ago - Drilled Stone, Palm Sized Hunk of Flint-img_0326-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    That hole is natural and not drilled by man.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

6. Likes Buckeye liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    That hole is natural and not drilled by man.
    Oh that's a major bummer! I thought because of the location it was found, I had something. I've held onto it for 10+ years.

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the hole is from erosion and not drilled. The piece of flint looks like Coshocton flint which was used extensively by the Native Americans for tools and weapons. I can not tell whether it has been knapped.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the material of that holed stone? I think your pics are a little fuzzy because it is trying to focus on your finger being as it is closer to your lens.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I could identify the material. It's the color of sandstone but doesn't feel like sandstone. It has a darker brown layer that is almost worn off the outside and lighter brown throughout the rest of the object. It's not clay but it has the look and feel of hard clay. In Ohio, we say "that's a rock." The reason it interested me was because it was found in a corn field adjacent to the famous Noble's Pond paleo site in Stark County. I wish I could have walked those fields and the lake shore 50 years ago when they had only been disturbed by farm equipment.
    Last edited by OhioFarmOwner; 09-13-2017 at 03:17 PM.

11. Likes Buckeye liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    it does appear to be a naturally formed rock , but still a cool pet rock . we have several laying and hanging around !

Chert Hound
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioFarmOwner View Post
    Wish I could identify the material. It's the color of sandstone but doesn't feel like sandstone. It has a darker brown layer that is almost worn off the outside and lighter brown throughout the rest of the object. It's not clay but it has the look and feel of hard clay. In Ohio, we say "that's a rock." The reason it interested me was because it was found in a corn field adjacent to the famous Noble's Pond paleo site in Stark County. I wish I could have walked those fields and the lake shore 50 years ago when they had only been disturbed by farm equipment.
    Yeah no doubt...it's pretty cool to go walk down in the adjacent Jackson Bog State Nature Preserve to get a feel for prehistoric foliage though, you can find carnivorous Pitcher Plants down there, also I think it was Dr. Brad Lepper that did some blood residue analysis on Clovis blades found at Nobles and the primary animal DNA found on them was....wait for it.... rabbits.

Is the field the holey stone found at from the hill one just down the road on Fulton?
    O.A.S.A.R. ( Ohio Artifact Search And Recovery)