Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Help identifying Broken Flint From New Site Search

Good evening. I spent two hours kayaking and walking gravel beds in a local river near the intersection with a small feeder creek. My intent was to try to identify future sites to hunt when I get more time.

These chunks don't look like much. But they're the only potential evidence of worked flint I found this evening. They are all from the same gravel bed in the stream, less than 100 yards from the river intersection.

Am i on the right track here or am I getting distracted by shiny broken chunks of tumbled river rock? Second rock from the left appears to have been part of a larger piece that was struck, based on the bowl shaped fracture on the front. Chunk 1 also appears to have facets that have been worn down by Stream tumbling, to my amateur eyes.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help identifying Broken Flint From New Site Search-img_0316-jpg Help identifying Broken Flint From New Site Search-img_0315-jpg 

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    A slightly better angle
    Attached Images Attached Images Help identifying Broken Flint From New Site Search-img_0319-jpg 

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like chert from here -- not unpromising.

Heavy Boots
    Post Thanks / Like
    That second piece looks promising. I walk creeks when the crops are in and they can be so frustrating. I have a site that gives up beautiful Big Sandy Points on occasion. The problem is that the occasion might be every tenth visit. Plowed dirt is my first choice since the chert is easier to spot, but when the streams give one up, it's usually "A" frame worthy. I'd check it after every storm.
    Good Luck out there,
    fldwlkr

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. The area I'm searching right now doesn't have any plowed fields nearby, at least not in recent times. So I'm counting entirely on bank erosion to provide something. I'm not super experienced with identifying types of rocks, and your feedback was important in helping me know what I might be looking at.

I was actually out searching the river and stream banks for signs of camps. The gravel beds I ran across were a bonus thanks to very low water levels. Found a couple of nice deep sandy bottom pools in the river that I plan to snorkel with my wet suit on this weekend too.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the pieces look like Coshocton/Upper Mercer chert and if they came from up north in the vicinity of Nobles Pond, I think that's too far north of the source to have gotten there other than by human transport. They do look like they're well water worn, but if they've been in the creek for a few thousand years, that makes sense.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are from a spot several miles to the west of nobles pond. I live at the southeastern corner of what was known as as the Greenville Treaty line, and this location was a water source right along that boundary. We're blessed with 11,000 years of habitation in this part of the country. But darned if I've ever managed to even pull a complete point out of the ground. Years of casual searching has yielded some flakes and broken pieces. I have just started planning and hunting more seriously this summer.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be discouraged . Keep walking the fields and streams you will find some for sure. Make sure you post them. We want to share in the excitement.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kayaking and snorkeling some deep holes this weekend. Finally get to use this wetsuit I originally bought for surfing in Lake Erie.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just started hunting too, and have found pieces similar to yours. I live about 3 miles east of Nobles pond.
    Good luck on your hunt!