Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Glass Bottle

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass Bottle

My husband found these while logging in Alabama. I know the blue bottle is vicks but whats the brown bottle? What are the two ears for at the top? No markings other than N and 2
    Attached Images Attached Images Glass Bottle-20170810_200148-2016x1134-jpg Glass Bottle-20170810_200153-1134x2016-jpg Glass Bottle-20170810_194648-1134x2016-jpg Glass Bottle-20170810_194645-1134x2016-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    The brown one may be a Clorox bottle. Just a guess though.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

3. Likes SouthernWonder liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could also be an old poison bottle. I have one just like it I found in an old dump. Those projections on the neck I believe are for a wire handle with wooden spool grip.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

5. Likes Steve Valentine, SouthernWonder liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just went and took a few shots of my meager collection of bottles. My "eared" bottle may not be identical to yours but very similar. Here's a few pics of it and 3 more similar. The only ones I'm sure about are the Clorox bottles. When I found one of these, it had a rusty top with a broken plastic stem in the center extending down to the bottom of the bottle. I can't remember whether it was the "eared" one or the last one pictured.
    Attached Images Attached Images Glass Bottle-009-jpg Glass Bottle-008-jpg Glass Bottle-007-jpg Glass Bottle-010-jpg Glass Bottle-011-jpg Glass Bottle-014-jpg Glass Bottle-015-jpg Glass Bottle-017-jpg 
    Last edited by Tdog; 08-11-2017 at 10:23 AM.

7. Likes SouthernWonder liked this post
    Heavy Boots
    Post Thanks / Like
    Southern Wonder, The Brown Eared Bottle was made by the Obear-Nester Glass Company in St. Louis, Ill. . The stippling or knurling on the bottom tells me it dates after 1940. They started putting "bumps" on the bottom to reduce cracking during the cooling process.
    Tdog, The I O Diamond mark is the Owens Illinois Glass Company logo. The second bottom pictured might be from the 1930's. The third bottom pictured is from 1944 and came from their Alton Illinois plant. Wish I could tell you more about the eared bottles but that's all I have.
    fldwlkr

9. Likes rddalto, Tdog, SouthernWonder liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks my friend. I couldn't find out much with my limited amount of research.
    Quote Originally Posted by fldwlkr View Post
    Southern Wonder, The Brown Eared Bottle was made by the Obear-Nester Glass Company in St. Louis, Ill. . The stippling or knurling on the bottom tells me it dates after 1940. They started putting "bumps" on the bottom to reduce cracking during the cooling process.
    Tdog, The I O Diamond mark is the Owens Illinois Glass Company logo. The second bottom pictured might be from the 1930's. The third bottom pictured is from 1944 and came from their Alton Illinois plant. Wish I could tell you more about the eared bottles but that's all I have.
    fldwlkr

11. Likes fldwlkr, SouthernWonder liked this post
    Heavy Boots
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are most welcome. A great source of information on bottles can be found at the Society for Historical Archaeology's website (Society for Historical Archaeology - Archaeology of the Modern World) . I also have an out of print book by Toulouse called Bottle Makers that is a great resource. If you post images of bottle bases I can probably give some information on the marks. If there are no marks the base and neck can often point to a manufacture date. When the crops are thick, I switch to bottle collecting and presently have over 350, much to my wife's dismay.
    Good Hunting, fldwlkr

13. Likes Tdog, SouthernWonder liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your quick replies and knowledge.
    I don't have a huge collection of bottles but here is a picture of what I do have, all but the two my husband found in Alabama were found in my home town down here in Mississippi
    Attached Images Attached Images Glass Bottle-20170812_123940-2016x1134-jpg Glass Bottle-20170812_123943-2016x1134-jpg 

15. Likes fldwlkr, Cisco Jack liked this post
    Heavy Boots
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love that light brown flask and I think I see an old insulator in that blue jar.
    fldwlkr