Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  2
    Collects and Knapps
    Post Thanks / Like

Any idea on type/age?

Any idea on the age or time period of these artifacts? What it is the circular piece of flint? Ohio artifacts. Thanks.Attachment 254161
    Last edited by Artifacts; 06-01-2017 at 10:18 AM.

2. Likes Pointless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please put all questions about types on this forum, the What In The World forum. Thanks.

Your pieces look to be Woodland in age and most likely Hopewell related. How many of the little Flake Tools do you find? Have you found any Cores?
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Collects and Knapps
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, will do in the future.

Thanks for the answer, I was given a bag of brokes and flint pieces, and these stood out.

Collects and Knapps
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you think the piece of flint is circular? It seems to have a little bit of work on the edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifacts View Post
    Why do you think the piece of flint is circular? It seems to have a little bit of work on the edge.
    Most likely a Scraper or small Knife. Can I see the other side please?
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Collects and Knapps
    Post Thanks / Like
    First picture shows other side. Second shows the edge. Thanks!Attachment 254350Attachment 254351
    Last edited by Artifacts; 06-01-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: fix pictures

longtimefree
    artifacts, look up " bulb of percussion" and "errailure scar" and you will see other examples and understand how flint flakes and probably come to the conclusion that the circular shape is a normal flake, flakes of all shapes were used and worked, in the first pic the flake is upside down , it was struck off a core right at that tiny flat platform, can we see the other side of those long flakes

Collects and Knapps
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the explanation longtimefree. here they are, i believe they are flake knives of some sort.Attachment 254377
    Last edited by Artifacts; 06-01-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ex. advice. This is requisite for most students. To the point. If you want a definitive answer you might contact someone who uses OSL like Bil Breckinridge

www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/archaeology/downloads/recognizing_artifacts.pdf
    Last edited by uzd; 02-14-2017 at 08:44 AM.

11. Likes Artifacts, N/A liked this post