Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  4
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

Maul? Help me see what I'm missing here

Hey guys, the fields are still covered in grass and corn stubble from the fall, but hopefully that will change this week. Despite the bad conditions, we were able to scare up a nice fire-popped point and whatever this piece of hardstone is. I feel like I should know what it is, but I can't seem to come up with a good answer. The "bit" end is heavily pecked, but still very rounded. The "poll" end, or what I think would have been that end, is what is missing. It broke along the quartz vein running through it. What I can't figure out is why they would have made the matching indentations on the sides, which only go halfway down the piece. The best I can figure is that it was a maul of some sort, or perhaps an unfinished axe. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images Maul?  Help me see what I'm missing here-stone4-jpg Maul?  Help me see what I'm missing here-stone1-jpg Maul?  Help me see what I'm missing here-stone7-jpg Maul?  Help me see what I'm missing here-stone6-jpg Maul?  Help me see what I'm missing here-stonepoint-jpg Maul?  Help me see what I'm missing here-stonepoint2-jpg 

2. Likes justonemore, Cisco Jack, Suzy liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice point but the other looks like a broken hammer to me. They break sometimes when in use. I find them broken all the time in the fields.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Nice point but the other looks like a broken hammer to me. They break sometimes when in use. I find them broken all the time in the fields.
    Like a broken hammerstone? I can't imagine them going to all the work to shape the sides so symmetrically for a hammerstone.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    That rock does not appear to be shaped/pecked on the sides. Natural. All I see is a hammer stone. Nice fire popped point you have there tho.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Multi tool,,,,, I'm going to go out on a really skinny limb here. It started as a metate then it ended up broken. It was then used as a hammer stone.

7. Likes rookie liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree it was used to hammer...something. We don't have many natural stones in this area that large, so it wouldn't surprise me it was imported from another state. I find hammer stones all the time, and none of them look anything like this one, except for having use wear on the end. And danny, I guess it could have originally been a double sided metate, but it's odd that they wouldn't have used the middle of it, as the depressions go all the way to the edge. Or maybe they shaped it after the break, since they hated to waste a stone that large. There's definitely some shaping on that narrow edge. But looking at the 4th pic down, I'm not yet willing to say those symmetrical depressions on the sides are natural. My current opinion is that they narrowed it right there for something, maybe hafting.