Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Symbolic

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Symbolic

Best forum I could find for this. What does this war club symbolize. Seems easy enuff.

Symbolic-vlcsnap-2011-09-24-22h33m41s244-jpg

2. # ADS

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Western artwork?

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most art is open to interpretation. who made it?
    Resident collective leg puller!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any full pictures so we can see the entire piece? What's the story on it? Any info would really help.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Warclub

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Do you have any full pictures so we can see the entire piece? What's the story on it? Any info would really help.
    I have been looking for this symbol quite awhile. I've found several examples of it on my place. I finally ran across this pic from a documentary from the Chickasaw Museum. Labeled war club.

I've got a friend living on the Klamath Res. who'll know but it's almost impossible to get in touch. Sent the info to a mutual friend who can drive it in 4hrs.
    Last edited by uzd; 02-07-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Used to Collect, Now Knap
    Post Thanks / Like
    It reminds me of the long snake mound in Missouri or Ohio, forgot which. That snake is swallowing something like an egg. I have my personal opinion of it's meaning from my study of mythology, but every one of you would help get me committed if I told it, so do your own research.

WA

8. Likes Tdog liked this post
    Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippintuff View Post
    It reminds me of the long snake mound in Missouri or Ohio, forgot which. That snake is swallowing something like an egg. I have my personal opinion of it's meaning from my study of mythology, but every one of you would help get me committed if I told it, so do your own research.

WA
    Serpent Mound near Peebles, Ohio has been said to represent either a comet with a tail, or a snake swallowing an egg.
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you search 'war club' pics you get several similar pieces
    Last edited by uzd; 02-07-2017 at 02:36 PM.

11. Likes bigotes liked this post
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Jimah, I am going with western art, contemporary. I believe it to be a bird, not reptile, representing an egg stealing bird of some sort. Out East here crows and gulls come to mind, but it would be some similar bird from the West coast. From todays vantage what it symbolizes would be anybody quess. I would think the symbolic meaning would be how a egg stealing bird would connect with an instrument of death within a culture. My "quess" would be that death was being dealt not to an individual but to a future/linage. MM

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meetmaker View Post
    Like Jimah, I am going with western art, contemporary. I believe it to be a bird, not reptile, representing an egg stealing bird of some sort. Out East here crows and gulls come to mind, but it would be some similar bird from the West coast. From todays vantage what it symbolizes would be anybody quess. I would think the symbolic meaning would be how a egg stealing bird would connect with an instrument of death within a culture. My "quess" would be that death was being dealt not to an individual but to a future/linage. MM
    After much research I'm convinced the symbols are representative of the Phoenix or Thunderbird entity that date back to the Mayans/Greek. Although material on both is available, little deals w/what he carries. Destination is alike, altar of the Sun God. Older civilizations lean toward Phoenix w/a ball of myrrh offering. One shared by Meso and AmerIndian alike is human hearts fueled the Sun and it was incumbent upon the TB to deliver the fuel each night in order for the sun to rise. That leaves one more mystery glyph. A Beaver prone left facing w/rear left foot raised just below eye level. The maniacal facial expression is a little unsettling. Beaver are prominent in Native lore, what makes this odd is that the pieces all exhibit same odd pose. Done by the same person? Possibly the work of 19th century youth(s).

Thanks for your help.