Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symbolic

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in seeing examples of that "Beaver" motif. I just did another quick survey of Meso images and when a Heart is represented it looks like a Heart, not a Valentine, but graphic pictures of human hearts. Nothing ambiguous about the interpretation. That is an egg in the beak. In any culture any time frame eggs and hearts carry different meanings to us peoples.
    I occasionally find myself at odds with how images are interpreted in European early art. Repesentations of "Phoenix" will include the out stretched wings, as will the "Thunderbird" (NA). MM

2. # ADS

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meetmaker View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing examples of that "Beaver" motif. I just did another quick survey of Meso images and when a Heart is represented it looks like a Heart, not a Valentine, but graphic pictures of human hearts. Nothing ambiguous about the interpretation. That is an egg in the beak. In any culture any time frame eggs and hearts carry different meanings to us peoples.
    I occasionally find myself at odds with how images are interpreted in European early art. Repesentations of "Phoenix" will include the out stretched wings, as will the "Thunderbird" (NA). MM
    The Phoenix is associated w/the egg of myrrh w/no mention of sacrifice/fuel just a gift. This was per a NY Met. treatise/display. The heart as fuel for the Sun was based on a video doc of an elder speaking on commonly held beliefs of many tribes/bands

Another research query unsolved. Several documents in state archives depict Anglo and Natives alike alluding to this land being given safe passage to all who travel here. No reason given, over three hundred documented encounters between AmerIndians and Europeans on contiguous properties along a two county corridor, none in Hill county. No explanation. Several coach/buggy lines including Butterfield took advantage of the anomaly. Any suggestions other than the catchall 'sacred ground' theory.

The beaver/rodent morphs are numerous, the image incised in an 18lb conglomerate of mostly red jasper is my fav.
    I have a few excellent Zapotec and Meso pieces I'll get some pics together.
    Last edited by uzd; 02-17-2017 at 02:16 AM.