Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge Abraider?

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Looks natural to me
    Any specific reason?

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA88 View Post
    Any specific reason?
    I dont see any use wear that stands out. Scratches arent deep they look like surface scratches. jmo
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    My take is that I just can't think of a natural situation where a stone would come out with that multitude of fine scratches. What would it be rubbing against that is sharp enough to leave marks like that? I found it among quite a bit of debitage, so It makes sense that the worked edge of a stone tool would be the only thing sharp and hard enough to produce the scratches. The scratches don't appear to all be random, there are little "groups" that are of similar depth and length, like they were made during the same effort. I'm not a knapper, but i've seen people scratch a rock up and down the edge of a point in between taking material off. But who knows. Those are just my observations and speculations. Don't know the how or why, just don't think it's natural.

Kopfjäger
    'twixt the James and the Pedernales Rivers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi JPA88,
    Tdog has the right answer. Your stone shows direct evidence of its glacial origin. Those scratches are from getting drug along under a big pile of ice.
    This little rock had a former life in a stream bed somewhere further North and became quite rounded. It's that rounded shape that allowed for easy re-orientation of it's axis as it was drug along under the glacier. It could spin or roll and start scratches in a new area and direction. I like that it tells and interesting from just a few clues.

Happy hunting.
    Briman

5. Likes Tdog liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey JP. Illinois guy here from the N'east. It looks like a rock that was subject to the melting glacier/runoff and tumbling process. The scratches are very random that lend to the tumbling/scratching thought. I have found many glacial stones that were left after the big ice cube ran over my back yard and headed south toward yours...but hey man that is just my thought...I would have grabbed it also...post some pics of the tools ya found there...
    ..."the chase is better than the catch"...

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with T Dog. We had one posted the other day where you could really see the very deep grooves in the rock this looks natural not done by man

8. Likes Tdog liked this post