Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  7
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavily polished

Heavily polished-img_2587-jpgHeavily polished-img_2586-jpgHeavily polished-img_2584-jpgHeavily polished-img_2584-jpg This object was found in southern MN. It appears to have been heavily polished. Wondering what your thought are on this. If it is an artifact, what is it and what's the material? I was thinking Atlatl spur?

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My hunch is that it is a naturally polished beach gravel stone like these that I have found. Some of these came from actual sites, but always where beach gravel is present whether on a site or not. Found in either Northern Iowa or Southern Minnesota. These have varying degrees of a polished finish to them. Some close to what yours has. It is possible that they are of the dark form of natural Hematite which might help to explain why they polish up and shine so well. It's possible that an Indian was attracted to that one of yours in it's natural form if you found on a site. But I have my doubts on your Atlatl Spur suggestion. Was there naturally occurring gravel where you found it? Myself, I basically pick them up to carry in my pocket as 'lucky stones'. Just in case they might somehow magically help direct me towards that next skunk saver. You betchya!

Maybe next time zig before you zag !

3. Likes Crosspatch, rddalto, Tdog liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Questor nailed it! Thank you.

5. Likes Tdog liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natural polish. Cool stone though I would have picked it up and kept also.