Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  3
    Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you call this?

Hi all
    i need your help on this one. Found on a site that produced woodland artifacts, this was unearthed this week. It looks like it was going to be something, but stopped. The flaking on the front almost looks like it was meant to a point? Any ideas-from Illinois.

Attached Images Attached Images What do you call this?-image-jpg What do you call this?-image-jpg What do you call this?-image-jpg What do you call this?-image-jpg What do you call this?-image-jpg 

2. Likes swataramike liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely has some nibbled edges, but with all the cortex on there, I don't see the overall shape being so much intentional. I would call it an expedient cutting tool of some sort, but I'm not that great with this kind of stuff.

Kaleb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a piece of flint that was probably smacked on a couple times then thrown out

Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    being that small and thick, I doubt it was intended for use..most likely just natural forces and/or mechanical or animal or some other kind of force most likely just crushed it against a hard something else and flaked it...
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

6. Likes Suzy, questor liked this post
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    with a steep angle and straight edge, it could easily have been for planing a new wood handle for his atlatl. A piece with a steep cutting edge and no other work is not that uncommon around here and generally considered woodworking tools..

Post Thanks / Like
    Picture 2 looks like some micro flakes on the upper edge. Also looks like some distinct flaking on the same face. Looks like the other face was flaked. I bet it doesn't fit well in the hand, but I bet it fits well with the index finger on the flat spot.
    My opinion is a tool of sorts

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Looks like an attempt was made to make a point but for whatever reason was disgarded.