Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Thread: Ouachita

Graduate Arrowheadologist

Ouachita

Ouachita

The Ouachita point was named by Gregory Perino (1976:161) for the Ouachita mountains where many examples have been found.

Preform: Broadly triangular to ovoid, having convex sides and a slightly convex to rounded basal edge.

General Discription: This large knife form has a triangular blade with convex sides and an acute tip on new points. The widest part is one third the length up from the base. Barbs curve inward and are prominent, notches are V shaped. The stem basal edges are slightly convex. Points up to three inches wide and eight and a half inches long have been found. Points are usually made of Ouachita quartzite.

Age and Culture: Late Archaic point of uncertain age that is expected to date in the 3,000 B.C to 1,000 B.C. range.

Distribution: Southwestern Arkansas and Southeastern Oklahoma, with a few reported from Northeastern Texas and Northwestern Louisiana.

Comments: The Little River point found in the same area is similar and probably related. The major difference is the size of the stem and the width of the notches. The stem on the Little River point is one-third wider and the notches one-third narrower than those on an Ouachita point. Barbs on Ouachita points are pointed; those on the Little River type range from pointed and rounded to broadly squared.

Perino Gregory
    1976 The Ouachita point, a new type for Southwest Arkansas, Southeastern Oklahoma.
    Central States Archaelogical Journal 27 (4)

Taken from the Perino 3 voume set.

Here are two examples from my collection. These are from Southeastern Oklahoma. I purchased them from John Richardson who purchased them from the finder. Both pieces are made from Barron fork chert. The largest one is 5-1/4" the shorter wider one is 4-1/8".

2. # ADS

I have this Little River from Moro Bayou in Caljoun County, Arkansas. Also have a Smith and a Ouachita from Arkansas but can't find the Pictures. May be later.
    Chad

The Little River point is from 3000-1000BC. A large sized broad point with shoulders that can extend to the base. The base is straight. The Little River is broader than the Ouachita.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chad Gilbert; 12-28-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Wow! Fine example.

Thanks. I really like the Little River. It's pictured in Overstreet. Here is my Ouachita. From Little River County, Arkansas, near Ashdown.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    very cool post, thanks for the info.ed

Tribal Council Member

Lightbulb Ouachita Point

Here's one from my neck of the woods that I don't see any of Ouachita