Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cahokia Points

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

Cahokia Points

Cahokia / Grant Side-Notched

The Cahokia point type is named after the major Middle Mississippian Cahokia site near St. Louis.

Age: These points represent a horizon marker from 1,000 to 850 B.P., representing Middle Mississippian–Cahokia and related site complexes (e.g., Steed Kisker, Mill Creek, terminal Late Woodland [Effigy Mound], and Early [Emergent] Oneota).Distribution: Illinois, Iowa, southern Wisconsin, Missouri, northern Arkansas, and eastern Oklahoma.

Description: This type has been segregated into four subclasses: Cahokia double-notched, triple-notched, multiple-notched, and serrated. The points are small to medium arrow tips. They are thin and generally well-made with either straight or triangular converging sides. This family exhibits multiple notching patterns, but characteristically they have a pair of relatively deep side notches. Cahokia double-notched are the most common Cahokia type found in the Upper Mississippi Valley. Triple-notched points are rare in the Upper Mississippi Valley. One point, found at the Energy Park site, an Early Oneota village near Red Wing, has five notches: two on each side and one in the center of the base.

Approx. Length: 1.5–3.5cm/0.7–1.75 in. Width: 1.3–2 cm/0.6–1 in.

Material: Cahokia points are nearly always made of local cherts.

Pictured Points: Personal Collection from Fulton County Illinois. Picture 1 and 2 has 6 notches!! picture 3 has 4 notches. Picture 4 Point #6 was digested by an animal.
    Last edited by RedHawk_ArtifactHunter; 01-22-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    Patience is key!

2. # ADS

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a really nice Cahokia Point I just got in my Secret Santa package. This point is a thing of beauty. It is so white I can't keep the camera from washing out the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cahokia Points-100_1135-jpg Cahokia Points-100_1137-jpg Cahokia Points-100_1138-jpg 
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Flintfinder of Mo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Some fine Cahokias

These are same site finds.... Steve Valentines Cahokia(pictured above) is in the group shot. I am gonna throw in some close ups of some, so that you can see the fine work.. They are amazing points, and it took a very skilled Indian to make them.

2- five notch Cahokia's
    1-Tri notch Cahokia
    1-Tri notch serrated
    2-with double notches

I know everyone has seen them, I just thought I would put them on for future members, and for the folks that are looking up this point in this Typology section.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cahokia Points-5-15-2010-cahokia-002-jpg Cahokia Points-5-15-2010-cahokia-014-jpg Cahokia Points-cahokia-005-jpg Cahokia Points-cahokia-003-jpg Cahokia Points-cahokia-004-jpg 
    Last edited by Flintstone; 12-31-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    FLINT

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

OHH man!

The one in the second picture is mine I lost it a thousand years ago!!
    Patience is key!

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got some better pictures of my awesome little Cahokia Point. This little baby is just way to cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cahokia Points-dsc_0113-jpg Cahokia Points-dsc_0114-jpg Cahokia Points-dsc_0115-jpg Cahokia Points-dsc_0116-jpg Cahokia Points-dsc_0117-jpg 
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen hundreds of cahokias, but Flintstone, you got some of the best. Here's my finds of 30 years...

SRV, that's a sweet one, too!