Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Flintstone
  • 1 Post By Steve Valentine

Thread: Cahokia Points

Elite Arrowheadologist

Cahokia Points

Cahokia / Grant Side-Notched

The Cahokia point type is named after the major Middle Mississippian Cahokia site near St. Louis.

Age: These points represent a horizon marker from 1,000 to 850 B.P., representing Middle Mississippian–Cahokia and related site complexes (e.g., Steed Kisker, Mill Creek, terminal Late Woodland [Effigy Mound], and Early [Emergent] Oneota).Distribution: Illinois, Iowa, southern Wisconsin, Missouri, northern Arkansas, and eastern Oklahoma.

Description: This type has been segregated into four subclasses: Cahokia double-notched, triple-notched, multiple-notched, and serrated. The points are small to medium arrow tips. They are thin and generally well-made with either straight or triangular converging sides. This family exhibits multiple notching patterns, but characteristically they have a pair of relatively deep side notches. Cahokia double-notched are the most common Cahokia type found in the Upper Mississippi Valley. Triple-notched points are rare in the Upper Mississippi Valley. One point, found at the Energy Park site, an Early Oneota village near Red Wing, has five notches: two on each side and one in the center of the base.

Approx. Length: 1.5–3.5cm/0.7–1.75 in. Width: 1.3–2 cm/0.6–1 in.

Material: Cahokia points are nearly always made of local cherts.

Pictured Points: Personal Collection from Fulton County Illinois. Picture 1 and 2 has 6 notches!! picture 3 has 4 notches. Picture 4 Point #6 was digested by an animal.
    Last edited by RedHawk_ArtifactHunter; 01-22-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    Patience is key!

2. # ADS

Here's a really nice Cahokia Point I just got in my Secret Santa package. This point is a thing of beauty. It is so white I can't keep the camera from washing out the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Flintfinder of Mo.

Some fine Cahokias

These are same site finds.... Steve Valentines Cahokia(pictured above) is in the group shot. I am gonna throw in some close ups of some, so that you can see the fine work.. They are amazing points, and it took a very skilled Indian to make them.

2- five notch Cahokia's
    1-Tri notch Cahokia
    1-Tri notch serrated
    2-with double notches

I know everyone has seen them, I just thought I would put them on for future members, and for the folks that are looking up this point in this Typology section.
    Last edited by Flintstone; 12-31-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    John File likes this.
    FLINT

Elite Arrowheadologist

OHH man!

The one in the second picture is mine I lost it a thousand years ago!!
    Patience is key!

I finally got some better pictures of my awesome little Cahokia Point. This little baby is just way to cool.
    DonR likes this.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Senior Arrowheadologist
    I've seen hundreds of cahokias, but Flintstone, you got some of the best. Here's my finds of 30 years...

SRV, that's a sweet one, too!