Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Killer ????

Artifactor
    Wow. Sweet.

2. # ADS

Junior Relic Hunter
    Thanks to everyone for the congrats and kind words. This is definitely one of the best points I've found. I really appreciate those who have given an opinion on the point type.

Savant Banjo Picker
    A friend of mine found this Benton in Starkville several years ago. Note the similarities to yours...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Nice comparison Tdog. Wish I'd been interested in artifacts the 4 1/2 years I spent in Starkville.

Grubbing Fool
    The material it is made of shows that it traded from the west not the north. I would bet that it came from north west Miss. I don't think Benton is a good call on this one. Never heard of a Novaculite Benton before. However Novaculite Delhis turn up often in that area.
    Just to think, our hobby started with that one man hitting two rocks together that everyone called an idiot.

Tribal Council Member
    I am not very familiar with Benton types. All that I see in photos or sketches have a concave bottom on the base creating sort of an eared-base look. And they seem to normally be made of materials found north and east of MS.

In north central MS you have Teoc and Jaketown, two major Poverty Point centers. Much of what is found in NE LA is also found on those MS sites. It would be interesting to see what else Jerkbait might find in association. That would help me lean one way or the other. That novaculite likely came down the Ouachita River to LA, then over land to Poverty Point, then across the MS River and up the Yazoo or one of the north MS rivers. A well traveled rock. And likely a treasured possession then and now.
    Tdog, CDEAN and LAcountryboy10 like this.

Savant Banjo Picker
    Quote Originally Posted by LAcountryboy10 View Post
    The material it is made of shows that it traded from the west not the north. I would bet that it came from north west Miss. I don't think Benton is a good call on this one. Never heard of a Novaculite Benton before. However Novaculite Delhis turn up often in that area.
    The closest distribution of Novaculite is in central Arkansas which is due west of where this point was found (North Mississippi) and this is only some 200 +/- miles away. I find novaculite artifacts here in East Central Alabama which is quite a ways further from the source so I don't understand your reasoning for bringing that up. I'm not very familiar with the Delhi point type so school me if you will. I'm interested in seeing some of the Delhi points you're talking about. I believe that the Benton making culture would use Novaculite to make Bentons if it were available to them; which it was. I'll concede if you will convince me I am in error. This is all about learning for me and not a pi$$ing contest. Below is a link to some documentation I found on Delhi points.

Delhi : Anthropology : University of Minnesota

Thank you for your interest.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Grubbing Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdog View Post
    pi$$ing contest.
    Everything in artifacts is one, because everyone who has anything to do with artifacts knows everything already. Everyone just speakes their opinion based on what they know and hope they don't get shot at. Having said that, it is VERY VERY VERY unlikely that you are finding Arkansas Novaculite in Alabama. One in twenty thousand points I would bet (very conservative estimate) found in Alabama are made of Arkansas Novaculite. Novaculite occurs naturally in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, and I would bet even Alabama in some places. People get stuck on thinking that a material type is only found in 1 exact specific spot but thats not true at all. For instance petrified palmwood can be found naturally in over 30 of the states in the US, it didnt all come from east Texas. That particular piece of Novaculite did come from Arkansas however. Traded novaculite is uncommon to find on any site other than the Gary culture and Poverty point culture sites. They loved it and carried it to all the corners of those cultures. Other than that it is basically a local knapping material. Certain cultures used materials that came over certain trade routes, thats all I pointed out. Based on the trade routes of that material and the location the knife was found it is most likely a Poverty Point artifact, and thus is most likely a point type that those guys made. I don't know enough to prove anything but then again none of us do. Just supplying the knowledge I know of north east Louisiana to a point made from Material that came through here.

Awesome find Jerkbate!! I am very sorry to have stollen your thread to give my version of 'a short history of nearly everything'
    Just to think, our hobby started with that one man hitting two rocks together that everyone called an idiot.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    That is just wicked, congrats on that find.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    I'm not gonna make an assumption on the type, as I'm one of the last people that is qualified to do so. However, I think I am one of the few people on this site that has the MS projectile point guide. If Malcolm sees this, he would be a really good source of info. From what I am reading, in MS, the Benton is more likely than the Delhi to be made of Novaculite. However, the blade doesn't appear to be bi-facially beveled, which is typical of a Benton. Then again, most of the Delhi points studied were barbed. Y'all be the judge, I'm just going to supply some local info. First set of pics is Benton info, 2nd set is Delhi info.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    LAcountryboy10 and Tdog like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast