Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Maze stone Petroglyph - Hemet, California

Elite Arrowheadologist

Maze stone Petroglyph - Hemet, California

I made a detour on my way out to Palm Springs last week to visit this site. There's a lot of mystery that surrounds these Maze petroglyph's as they are unique to the area and there are no theories as to who made them. There are at least 50 documented sites with Maze's like this one, all within 150 miles of each other, from Palm Springs, Hemet, and down into San Diego county. All are unique to this area and found no where else in the world.

The sad part is the fences, not 1 but 2 of them even! If you look to the left lower corner of the Maze, you can see some dim whit carved in a swastika. I looked into that and found it was not part of the original Maze as they have a pic from the turn of the century and it's not in the pic. This is maybe the reason for the fences

Name:  Dry Lake Bed 002.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  hhhhh.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  Hemet_Maze_Stone.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  150.4 KB
    Last edited by TommyTheWolf; 09-25-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    Dennis, Dart, Red Beard and 1 others like this.

2. # ADS

Elite Arrowheadologist
    To be truthful they don't look very old. Protecting N/A artwork is important!
    TommyTheWolf likes this.

Tribal Council Member
    Very nice. This stuff infatuates me. And this one gives something extra to contemplate.
    TommyTheWolf likes this.
    Maybe next time zig before you zag !

arb
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Very cool petroglyph, who ever carved the "swastika" carved it rotating backwards.
    TommyTheWolf likes this.

Arrowheadologist
    The "swastika" may have been put there by the original artist. Just look at the inner lines of the maze. It's a design that was around long before the Nazis.

Native American Symbol ? Whirling Log (Swastika) | Native American Jewelry Tips

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Trine View Post
    The "swastika" may have been put there by the original artist. Just look at the inner lines of the maze. It's a design that was around long before the Nazis.

Native American Symbol ? Whirling Log (Swastika) | Native American Jewelry Tips
    Very true.. But there is a picture of the Maze from about 1920 and it does not have the swastika in it, thus we can tell from that it was added after 1920.

Based on assembleges found in and around a large nearbye village, archies estimate the age of the Maze is between 500 to 3,000 yrs old.
    ~ former username "BLADE HUNTER"

PhD in Arrowheadology
    tommy here are some from san diego , the second pic as you can see, defaced by gang sings, others have been gone over with pencil for some reason, what ever the reason its not right, these mazes are ancient and should not be defaced, the maze you posted could of been made by the same person, very interesting
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by longtimefree; 09-26-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Dart and TommyTheWolf like this.
    we have done so much, with so little, for so long, that now we can do anything, with nothing

Tribal Council Member
    Thanks for showing A sacred place for sure .
    TommyTheWolf likes this.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefree View Post
    tommy here are some from san diego , the second pic as you can see, defaced by gang sings, others have been gone over with pencil for some reason, what ever the reason its not right, these mazes are ancient and should not be defaced, the maze you posted could of been made by the same person, very interesting
    Thanks for posting that Vince. They are strikingly similiar!!!
    They say these come from the "Maze Culture"...Whoever made them, if I was a betting man I'd place everything I had that these were made from the same people

I think I know where the one is you posted, looks like these 2 sites are less than 40 miles apart.
    longtimefree likes this.
    ~ former username "BLADE HUNTER"

PhD in Arrowheadology
    very cool looking
    TommyTheWolf likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast