Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Scott H.

Haw River "Like" Hardaway Blade

Last summer, Sam H. and I were surface hunting some food plots in Fairfield Co., SC when I found this ugly looking blade. Neither one of us could type it then. Several weeks ago, Sam loaned me one of his reference books; "Hardaway Orgins and Adaptations" written and edited by Rodney Peck ( President of the Piedmont Archeological Society). I noticed on page 85, a photo taken two Haw River " Like" blades found at the Baucom Hardaway site that looked exactly like the "ugly" blade I found. On page 88, Mr. Peck, writes: " The Haw River point is one of several classified by Joffre L. Coe ( Coe 1964) as the Hardaway Blade. The Hardaway blade dates to about 12,000 BP and probably is the ancestor of the Clovis Point, Pre-clovis. ". I sent an e-mail to, Ron Harris, Piedmont Arch. Society, with photos. Mr. Harris responded stating my blade was indeed a Haw River "Like" Hardaway Blade. This is the oldest artifact I have found to date be it broke and ugly.

Scott H.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS

EagleBear
    Ugly is in the eyes of the finder. I think it is a great item and would be proud to of found it. Yes it is broken but still a great find. They didnt always have great material to make points with and used what they had at the time. Thanks for the show.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Interesting Scott. Thanks for the info. Maybe we can get back down there again soon.

---------><---------
    That is an interesting find.

You've probably seen this before but there's some great Hardaway and earlier pics and info from the Baucom site. Some of the pictured types reminded me of that piece.

Scroll back a few pages for Hardaway blades.

baucom36

Lifetime Collector
    Scott,
    That does look like a Hardaway related piece. However, I agree more with the thinking of Drs Al Goodyear and Randy Daniels on these, in that Hardaway blades are preforms of Hardaway-Dalton and Hardaway side notched. They were found on the same level as those types at the Hardaway site, but at the time Dr. Coe felt that they were a distinct earlier type. With no earlier types on the site, Dr. Coe was looking for an older type but all 3 Hardaway types were lying on the clay subsoil. There was a more recent early C-14 date read at Hardaway (11,350 BP) on some charcoal, which would put the entire Hardaway cluster in the Paleo period. You can read more about this in detail in Coe's Formative Cultures of the Carolina Piedmont and in Dr. Daniels' Hardaway Revisited. Here is a link to a report on the Baucom Hardaway site- The Baucom Hardaway Site

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Hardaway from Fairfield county
    Name:  h7dad 127.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  32.1 KB

PhD in Arrowheadology
    it has some nice work to it

Scott H.
    Thanks, Guys. Aboman, I am more inclined to adhere to the;" Hardaway cluster in the Paleo period." Rodney Peck writes about the controversy between the two advocates of the Clovis occupation and the Pre-Clovis occupation. The first believe occupation occured approximately 12,000 BP and the Pre-Clovis approximately 15,000 BP. I'll let the academics battle that out. I'll just keep hunting. Thanks again for the feedback.

Scott H.

Elite Arrowheadologist

Haw River

I have one and my son has a couple of them. This one I showed it to Rodney at the Abbeyville show and he said that was what mine was. He is usually set up at the Abbeyville show each year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wiljo; 02-28-2012 at 12:39 PM.