Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  6
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

how old is this pipe?

Creek find in known multi-component site in Savannah Swamp in Central NY. Found the bowl one day, and the stem a couple days later in same spot. The white color bothers me, as does the long skinny stem. It's definitely clay and he interior of the bowl is black. Is it a post-contact trade item...did the Native Americans make pipes to trade to the Euros? And where would that white clay come from in upstate New York?
    The other thing in the picture came from the same site and may be polished slate with a groove. How do I ID slate with a magnifying glass?how old is this pipe?-100_9003-jpghow old is this pipe?-100_9003-jpg

2. Likes tomclark liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pipe is post contact, trade or not. The dark piece sure looks like a section of long bone with the natural groove

4. Likes uniface, ceezee liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pipe is made from kaolin clay, most likely European made, and certainly post contact, as Tom indicated. I doubt that it's among the earlier styles from the 17th century, but I'm not a pipe guy. Someone can very likely pin down a more precise time frame based on what you found, but I'm not sure anyone here can do that....

Kaolin-Clay-Trade-Pipes

6. Likes tomclark, uniface, ceezee liked this post