Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  41
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super cool piece! Thanks for posting it.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

My Rattail

Crazy cool artifact.-rattail1-jpgCrazy cool artifact.-rattail2-jpgCrazy cool artifact.-rattail3-jpgCrazy cool artifact.-rattail4-jpg
    OK so I bought this piece about 6 or 7 years ago online from a place called Texas Artifacts or somethin like that. He was a very well known and trusted collector. He gave a full money back guarantee no questions asked. I bought it with a group of about 10 other points so I wasn't buyin for this piece. It has hung on my wall with no thoughts other than "that's a strange lookin piece". Then this morning I see this very fine example of a Rattail posted and I went to look at mine and sure enough they have almost the exact same shape at the point end. Now mine has obviously been reworked I just don't know when. You can see the patina loss due to the rechippin. I believe the tail was much longer at one time casue as you may be able to see the tail is kinda crooked now. But some of the rechippin along the side looks more like use wear to me than an attempt to reshape or resharpen the piece. The numbers written on the piece were there when I bought it so I have no idea what they mean but numbers are normally put on pieces when they are dug up. As you see I forgot to put in somethin for size reference so I measured it. It measures 2 3/4" x 1" exactly. Lookin at the very nice one posted this morning they are about the same size. Im gonna suggest that we place both these examples in the Typology section since there are more than one know to exist. If Speck1 will post first in Typology I will follow with my lesser example for reference comparisons.
    Last edited by Marshall Ellis; 05-13-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Addedpics

3. Likes Cisco Jack, major flaker, Papajoe liked this post
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Rat tail the official name? I will post it in Typology first chance i get. We want to name it Stingray.

5. Likes major flaker liked this post
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted it in typology.
    Attached Images Attached Images Crazy cool artifact.-b6a66d89-619b-425c-ad18-4877a32c787d-jpg Crazy cool artifact.-2f80503c-b3d9-40a8-9bfd-0996139a2205-jpg 

7. Likes major flaker, Jay R, codeman liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I called it Rattail cause others called it that. I will tag it whatever others think is best.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simply fantastic find! Why couldn't this one be considered as a dual purpose tool? Such as in a combo drill/blade tip? Could have very well started out as a bi-pointed blade to begin with and then transformed from there.
    Maybe next time zig before you zag !

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man that thing is waaaaay cool!

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speck1 View Post
    I assure you we dug that artifact. It was about 3 feet below the surface. I cannot believe it didnít break when it hit the screen.
    Garscale wasnít within 100 miles of us.
    The reason I asked is cause I wasnt sure if you dug it and wasnt trying to be rude. Its a fine piece and anyone would cherish it if they were lucky enough to ever find one. Its very well crafted thats for sure.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    The reason I asked is cause I wasnt sure if you dug it and wasnt trying to be rude. Its a fine piece and anyone would cherish it if they were lucky enough to ever find one. Its very well crafted thats for sure.
    No worries. We had never seen anything like it either.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some collectors call them umbrella drills, for the unique shape and somewhat resemblance. Nice find.