Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Frozen creek finds

Found these today on a frozen creek bank. A few fossils, red and brown pigment stones, three rocks that caught my eye, and some possible stone tools. Also found some somewhat old bottles, and pot sherds. I donít really know what any of these actually are, had a nice hike though. Look forward to any of your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images Frozen creek finds-451dc69d-dd34-459b-a319-10755f8f88e7-jpg Frozen creek finds-af497deb-5167-4b82-b4f8-e59a660a33fe-jpg Frozen creek finds-4363c906-13a9-43c6-8c91-50ce6683725c-jpg 

2. Likes Locohead, CharOK liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat looking stuff!!

4. Likes gathersnomoss liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice rocks, sorry
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reply

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Nice rocks, sorry
    I had a hunch they were ordinary rocks- the suspected tools. I really doubt if my son and I will ever find artifacts. I really canít discern between flaking and tumbling creek chatter, so unless we happen across a good solid point- it will be overlooked. At least our fossils are fossils, however common and ordinary they may be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get discouraged. Try to find some farm fields near the creeks you are hunting or other bodies of water and get permission to walk them. You may have better luck spotting them in the dirt rather than the gravel. I have hunted for over 50 years and I have a hard time in creeks or on the river bank because I'm not used to hunting through the gravel. I can find stuff because I hunt slowly and look for shapes and colors but I find pieces in the field much easier.

Good luck and keep at it. You'll eventually find that first Point and you'll be on your way.

Pm me your address and I'll send your son some pieces from my area. Kind of a starter kit of items to look for. Points, Scrapers, Pottery, etc.
    Last edited by Steve Valentine; 02-12-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Don't get discouraged. Try to find some farm fields near the creeks you are hunting or other bodies of water and get permission to walk them. You may have better luck spotting them in the dirt rather than the gravel. I have hunted for over 50 years and I have a hard time in creeks or on the river bank because I'm not used to hunting through the gravel. I can find stuff because I hunt slowly and look for shapes and colors but I find pieces in the field much easier.

Good luck and keep at it. You'll eventually find that first Point and you'll be on your way.

Pm me your address and I'll send your son some pieces from my area. Kind of a starter kit of items to look for. Points, Scrapers, Pottery, etc.
    Thanks for the tips, we will keep at it. Thatís very nice of you. There are definitely plenty of farms to walk in Indiana, Iíll just have to find a kind enough owner to let us. My brother has a small creek on his property, and a horse pasture but nothing at all on the surface.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could those 3 smaller ones be fossils?

10. Likes Locohead liked this post
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I will attach another photo that shows similar examples. I believe the one in the back has a bryazoa inclusion, the bivalvia shell shown aside a recently live mussel actually may be a trace fossil, the one is a horn coral I believe, and I think the other small one is a weathered crinoid stem. I thought that the little white one might be a bone fragment of some kind- but have no idea. Iím not an expert of course and any input would be great. Thanks again for the replyís everyone. Attachment 275441

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely don't get discouraged! This is my first year looking for artifacts and I didn't find an actual point for at least 2 months. Once I found the first one, the flood gates opened and it became a lot easier. I was looking in the right general area but not quite in the right spots in those areas. I would also be more than happy to send your son a few points & tools. Let me know and good luck!

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks HillCountryHunter, I appreciate the encouragement. Definitely feel a warm welcome here. I actually pmíd Steve Valentine and took him up on his offer to my son. I feel kind of bad about taking him up on the offer, but I think it purely as a gift to Ethan as a foundation for his collection, and it will make him happy and give us both an idea of what we need to look for. I wish I had something to have given in trade, but I doubt I have anything of interest, besides common greenbacks. We are going to keep at it, and I think with more learning we will be able to spot things in the future. Again I thank you for the encouragement and the offer, itís very nice of you.