Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

south county rhode island

several piece from last year - including a beekman point and a gorget - also a couple granite scrapers some points, and a hand axe - 2 items next to granite scaper were just in the picture - both granite scrapers were found close to each other both were rounded t the head and chisel shaped - the axe is flat like a hammer at the thumb side of the picture and chisel shaped at the other end
    Attached Images Attached Images south county rhode island-gorget-jpg south county rhode island-hand-axe-jpg south county rhode island-kimg0222-jpg south county rhode island-scraper-tool-jpg south county rhode island-quartz-point-jpg south county rhode island-worked-quart-jpg south county rhode island-beekman-jpg 

2. Likes FIRSTVIEW, donnie d, Woodland, CMD liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find a lot like that one on the lower left in Virginia. I believe that's Guilford point.

Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool quartz points and interesting black piece with the hole..would like to see some more shots of that..i think the hardstone items are unfortunatley just natural rocks though..
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    When all you have available is turdstone, turdstone is what you use.
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

6. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    The natives here had some nice lithics and imported plenty of good stuff. Have yet to find a turdstone artifact in RI in years of surface hunting, no offense meant.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    ill try to find better pics of the gorget - an archaeologist that does a lot of digs in this area dated it between 1000 -1500 years old judging from similar ones hes found at sites (he discovered the pre-contact village on point judith pond that the state has secured) - the hard stones if you were holding them you would see the ends were worked into chisel points - they came from an intertidal site that was adjacent to a camp - lots of tools - quart scrapers -broken points - small and large weights for fishing - large boulders with grinding holes in them - lots of flakes - mostly quartz but some flint and argolite that would have had to have been carried in - when im working on the water i like to pull the boat up and walk the shoreline on a low tide when i have time now and then.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The natives here had some nice lithics and imported plenty of good stuff.
    Fascinating that collections from RI don't seem to reflect this. Probably luck of the draw.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where have you seen collections from RI with artifacts made from "TURDSTONE"???? Where have you seen collections from RI with crappy artifacts? Ever hear of a guy by the name of Arthur Congdon?? Try looking at that collection. We have great stuff here, including some of the nicest hard stone pieces you will find anywhere. Maybe CMD will chime in on this one. Rhode Island has wonderful artifacts.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going by collectors there posting their finds on artifact forums over the years. Rough quartzite, "felsite," & similar non-quartz-based rocks don't translate into the kind of artifacts found in places like Ohio and Kentucky (and Tennessee, and Missouri, and Indiana, &c).

Hardstone (ground) was not in view.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough, Uniface, I've seen some ugly posts too. When I have time later this spring I will unpack some of my better surface finds that I have securely packed away(security issues lately), and will be glad to post picks. Almost time for some new finds anyway, we are expecting an early spring. And. Mr. G.I. Fish co, can we see some fishing weights??