Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uniface View Post
    I'm going by collectors there posting their finds on artifact forums over the years. Rough quartzite, "felsite," & similar non-quartz-based rocks don't translate into the kind of artifacts found in places like Ohio and Kentucky (and Tennessee, and Missouri, and Indiana, &c).

Hardstone (ground) was not in view.
    Crappy stuff in Virginia too

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post
    The natives here had some nice lithics and imported plenty of good stuff. Have yet to find a turdstone artifact in RI in years of surface hunting, no offense meant.
    This frame from Rhode Island is about 3' long, and on display at the Robbins Museum of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society, in Middleborough, Ma. Plenty of decent local, regional, and exotic lithics in this frame. IMHO. My own collection, built over 60 years hunting Rhode Island sites, includes many very attractive lithics. That said, quartz and New England varieties of argillite are most common where I hunt. But there are also some very attractive rhyolites. In my own experience, and from what I've seen, most collectors do develop a fondness for their local found material. It grows on ya....

south county rhode island-img_9548-jpg

south county rhode island-img_9549-jpg

south county rhode island-img_9550-jpg

south county rhode island-img_9551-jpg

south county rhode island-img_9552-jpg

View of a beautiful quartz Alsop Meadow point, and the stemmed Point to the left is made from a killer lithic I cannot identify:

south county rhode island-img_9554-jpg

And some personal finds from RI. Very few turdstones, lol.....

south county rhode island-img_9556-jpg

Hingham Rhyolite:

south county rhode island-img_9557-jpg
    Last edited by CMD; 02-13-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    The drilled black object may be a pendant. Wonder if it's made of graphite? I have a bead made from graphite. There was a major graphite Quarry, still there, on Tower Hill in South Kingston, which the natives called Cajoot. Just a thought, more photos needed.

Regarding the bottom row of quartz pieces. The far right piece could be a Beekman, but looks more likely to be a Squibnocket Triangle. JMHO.....

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    In answer to uni's observations, yes, most of our Chert and Jasper lithics were imported. We lack those in abundance. Limerock Jasper, indistinguishable from Pa jasper visually, was sourced in Limerock, RI., however, and is a beautiful lithic. As well, if one looks at the several pages devoted to our local and regional lithics in the late Jeff Boudreau's expanded New England typology guide, it is very obvious New England has many very beautiful flow banded rhyolites and other attractive and colorful rhyolites.

Now, the question can be would one prefer the many flints available in other states, like Ohio, etc.? Or obsidian from our Western States? Or the many rhyolites found in New England? Well, the rhyolites were harder to work, there is no question of that. Hornfels, on the other hand, also found in New England, is very easily nicely flaked, and our local Jack's Reef culture preferred hornfels second only to Jasper for that reason. I do believe collectors develop a taste for their local lithics. So, it really does become a judgement call, IMO....

More personal finds, not unattractive lithics at all....

Unknown rhyolite:

south county rhode island-beed39b6-73d1-4ee3-9d08-0715fc71ea90-3191-000002a95e68a8f0-jpg

Saugus "Jasper", actually a variety of rhyolite. This one was not a personal find, from Prudence Island in Narragansett Bay:

south county rhode island-90b636f9-21fa-4b72-a088-e32289c740a3-3191-000002a95058a5c8-jpg

Unknown raw lithic found at a site in southeast Ma....

south county rhode island-b91a9ab6-ad7e-4de0-bb99-9b25c07454ab-3191-000002a93ff519bf-jpg

Unknown lithic, but I think it's pretty nice...

south county rhode island-7f12bb5c-19a3-40e3-a04c-502ff462dd2c-3191-000002a9688be39b-jpg

uniface opined that RI collections do not reflect nice lithics. As he put it: "Fascinating that collections from RI don't seem to reflect this. Probably luck of the draw". But surely this depends on what one considers nice. Personally I love our regional rhyolites, jasper, quartz, crystal quartz, nice quartzite, etc., etc., etc. It is very much in the eye of the beholder I believe:

south county rhode island-img_9563-jpg

south county rhode island-img_9564-jpg

In closing, it was not my attention to highjack a fellow Rhode Islanders thread, but, understanding that it is, afterall, a judgement call to some degree, I did want to show that our southern New England region does produce points and flaked artifacts made from lithics that most would find visually appealing, IMHO. Perhaps our poorest lithic is Lockatong Argillite, but that was imported, God knows why, lol, from NJ and Pa....
    Attached Images Attached Images south county rhode island-img_9562-jpg 
    Last edited by CMD; 02-13-2018 at 11:54 AM.