Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of the aforementioned (with the exception of the Redstone) have fallen into Trans-Paleo to Early Archaic time-period (10K-8K YBP) as best as I can determine.
    Ramah chert : NE Clovis (whittled down to a nub)
    Knife River : Gainey (Clovis) (Lamb Site)

I omitted to mention a Clovis point of Burlington (mentioned by S&B in Across Atlantic Ice) that turned up in Washington (the state).

Dates of Haw River are conjectural until some turn up in a stratified, datable context.

Digging in your heels on a difinitive name for this style of point is an excersise in futility.
    A Dovetail is not a different point type because it's found in Texas and not Indiana or Ohio. No ?
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW (and this is partly guesswork -- sometimes in defiance of data) :

13,250-12,850 rcybp : Clovis, Ross County Variant, Unidentified Fluted

12,850-12,500 : Pelican, Gainey/Bull Brook/Vail/Debert, Barnes/Michaud/Neponset, Cumberland, Redstone, Simpson, Sedgewick, Folsom

12,500-12,100 : Wheeler, Beaver Lake, Quad, Coldwater, Hinds, Arkabutla, Suwannee, Plainview

12,100-11,550 : Northumberland, Crowfield, Holcombe/Nickolas, Hi-Lo, Midland, Agate Basin, Scottsbluff, Varney, Dalton (all varieties), Hardaway Blade, San Patrice (all varieties).
    from Structure, Density and Movement: Large-Scale Datasets and Basic Questions about Early Foraging Societies in the Eastern Woodlands, presented by Andrew White & David Anderson @ SEAC, 2017

Blog Posts

(scroll down).
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uniface View Post
    Ramah chert : NE Clovis (whittled down to a nub)
    Knife River : Gainey (Clovis) (Lamb Site)

I omitted to mention a Clovis point of Burlington (mentioned by S&B in Across Atlantic Ice) that turned up in Washington (the state).

Dates of Haw River are conjectural until some turn up in a stratified, datable context.

A Dovetail is not a different point type because it's found in Texas and not Indiana or Ohio. No ?
    I spoke too soon as I did not research all the information provided. I just looked at the ages from projetilepoints.net for Haw River, the Daltons and Wheeler.
    Last edited by Tdog; 02-06-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting thread. I'd feel pretty comfortable clumping it in with Daltons.

Making the hard case that it has to be a Haw River... I'm not sure drilling down to such a specific name is really valid; you are splitting, splits of splits.

The Haw River site in North Carolina was a very rich Dalton site, one of the classic Dalton sites used to flesh out "East" Dalton material.

The Haw River point type has been referenced a few times journals, but I don't recall it being used recently outside of collector journals (kind of like an Alamance point.)

Quote Originally Posted by uniface View Post

So how big a stretch is it to find a Haw River blade in Missouri ? Consult the currently-known distribution map :

Haw River Projectile Point
    If you have a gmail account you should download the Haw River Point description by Rodney Peck. According to him it's Pre-Clovis and ranges from Alaska to South America, and includes some classic Clovis sites (Colby and others.) I guess you can stretch logic to fit any pattern.

The Haw River Point on JSTOR

5. Likes rddalto, clovisman1 liked this post
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given its location, the most parsimonious answer would be that it fits well within the known range of variation expressed within the Dalton point type.

7. Likes rddalto liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had to look-up parsimonious but hey, I'm constantly wearing out Google with word definitions. I still don't think I understand what you're saying but if I ever do, you can bet I'll use that word at my earliest opportunity!
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically the simplest and most supportable answer is that it is a Dalton cluster point. Given its find spot in Missouri and well within the known geographic range of the Dalton Cluster, it is more supportable argument to place the point within the Dalton style than to try and extend the known geographic range of another (somewhat provisional) point type.

10. Likes rddalto, Tdog liked this post
    Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to see the Dr. offering up an opinion.