Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  70
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!! Killers
    \

2. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    awesome and they couldn't be in better hands!

4. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    A few more random pictures. I love the groove and this 3/4 Grooved Axe. It's even grooved along the bottom.
    Yeah, that groove on the bottom caught my eye too. Very cool. Makes me wonder why it's there. As I understand it, the idea with a 3/4 groove is that as the head gets loose in the haft, you can drive a wooden wedge in under the head to re-tighten things. (You can't do that with a full grooved axe.) As you bang away, chopping wood, the wedge slips, so every so often you have to bang it back in. So was the groove done intentionally to help keep the wedge from slipping out too easily, or was it accidental, from a wedge slipping out and being pounded back in hundreds or thousands of times, eventually wearing a groove in the stone?

Also thanks for the photos of the bit ends, very helpful in understanding the tool.

Keith

6. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird Point View Post
    Yeah, that groove on the bottom caught my eye too. Very cool. Makes me wonder why it's there. As I understand it, the idea with a 3/4 groove is that as the head gets loose in the haft, you can drive a wooden wedge in under the head to re-tighten things. (You can't do that with a full grooved axe.) As you bang away, chopping wood, the wedge slips, so every so often you have to bang it back in. So was the groove done intentionally to help keep the wedge from slipping out too easily, or was it accidental, from a wedge slipping out and being pounded back in hundreds or thousands of times, eventually wearing a groove in the stone?

Also thanks for the photos of the bit ends, very helpful in understanding the tool.

Keith
    I think those grooves along the bottom were put there on purpose. I have a couple more Axes with the same groove along the bottom. I'm sure it was done for hafting purposes.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    I think those grooves along the bottom were put there on purpose. I have a couple more Axes with the same groove along the bottom. I'm sure it was done for hafting purposes.
    I think you're right. The groove looks pecked, like it was made as part of the head from the beginning. Just not something I've noticed before, which, again, shows the value of showing all the angles. Smart innovation!

Keith

9. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Proud for you Steve ! Super addition to your collection .

11. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Those are really great artifacts! That is the next best thing to finding them! Congrats

13. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy moly Steve, what a score brother. Congrats on coming home with some stellar pieces.
    <--------------------------{{{{

15. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome collection. My father grew up in Ohio and found a celt like yours when he was a boy, I've had it sitting on my shelf for years.

17. Likes Steve Valentine liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Superb craftsmanship on pretty much the whole lot. Your enthusiasm toward obtaining them is well deserved. So nicely done on all of that. These axes will blend in well with one of your own pf finds as I seem to recall that you have another quite nice one that closely resemble these new acquisitions.
    Maybe next time zig before you zag !