Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Found my first point on Monday

Hey all -

I introduced myself in the Artifact Zoo earlier today and am just getting around to posting an image of my first point along with a few questions for the seasoned veterans. I was walking what was once the shoreline of a lake in Lake County Oregon and kept seeing small obsidian flakes on the surface and being a newbie I figured that was a good sign for finding an obsidian arrowhead. So I'm thinking "look for the glint of black obsidian" when this off white translucent point jumps out at me. Here's an image with a little Photoshop work to show both sides next to each other.

Found my first point on Monday-lake-county-point-jpg

I have dreamed about finding a point for years and when it finally happened it was a very special moment - especially thinking about the person that made it long ago. I know there's not much info to go on, but based on the shape of the point and the fact that it was on the shore of an archaic dry lake in Southern Oregon are there any estimates as to how old it might be? I've seen points like this referred to as Rabbit Points before - does this seem accurate for this one?

Thanks for looking and any feedback you can offer. Hope to be doing lots of searching in the high desert in the years to come!

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well congrats on your first one! That is some cool material. Oregon is a long way from my realm here in N'eastern Illinois so the type and lithic are out of my reach. Good one for your first find as the wonder of just who, what and why are what fuels the quest...
    ..."the chase is better than the catch"...

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like agate hope that obsidian point jumps out on your next trip.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome from Texas nice one
    "Often wrong, but never in doubt"

Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe I need some pictures from different angles or something but I just don't see a point there? looks more like a small reduction flake..killer material though
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all -

I'll try to get a different angle on the photo later today.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well - this is about the best I can do for another angle. The thing reflects light and even without a flash it likes to be overexposed.

Found my first point on Monday-paisley-point-x2-jpg

Need to work on my terminolgy - but one side is worked to create a sharp edge with closely repeated serrations along the entire side and the other side has serrations near the point and then flows into a razor sharp edge. I'll keep looking and make sure there's no doubt about the next one :-).

Thanks!

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well its certainly an artifact.. Maybe a little breakage on the sharp edge? I like it. Congrats.
    Resident collective leg puller!

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking a little breakage too possibly. And being a complete noobie I have no idea if the Indians ever worked one side of a point and just took advantage of an existing razor edge on the other.

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say it is a fragment of a point and also looks like agate.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)