Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread

Well I'm pretty excited right now. I spent about an hour at my buddy's cave site this evening and did very well. I will be going back again and again! I started finding flakes at the mouth of the cave, but didn't dig in there at all. I chose a little hill overlooking the cave that has a nice rock overhang as well. Hopefully I can attach all the images with success. What I'm wanting to know is type on these artifacts. Also, I'm pretty sure I found a couple pieces of pottery. It's got textured designs on it. Man I'm stoked. After losing my mother last month, I really needed something to get my spirits up.
    Last edited by Cisco Jack; 04-10-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Change title

2. # ADS

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgSite and artifacts...

Attachment 256407
    Last edited by BenK; 03-15-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that looks very promising. Let me know if I want to trade a Texas dig or artifacts for a chance to hit that!

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can a mod possibly fix my images? Thanks! Also I found what appears to be a petrified deer antler. I assume that's what they were using to knap. I found about 30 flakes here just mainly on the surface. There is much more work to be done!

Speaking of my mother's passing, her birthday is today. After all the digging and hunting I've done and come up with hardly anything...today was the day I cashed in. Coincidence? I don't think so. There's your feel good story for the day!

I'd like to know time period, especially on that blade. That thing is awesome. It's relatively thinner at the bottom, and somewhat "clubbed" at the top. The base is also shaped, not broken in that little groove.
    Last edited by BenK; 03-15-2017 at 06:50 PM.

6. Likes Suzy, Bonneville1 liked this post
    Flint Stalker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have a great spot to dig! Mom is watching! Good Luck!

8. Likes Pointless liked this post
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    very nice - Im going to start digging soon on a cave near me - weonly found one point and just a cpl of flakes on our first "dig" But really didnt move a lot of dirt keep us posted
    Sorry for your loss

10. Likes swataramike liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your loss BenK. As for digging if you want to really find a bunch of stuff start at the bottom of the slope below the overhang then dig toward the face of it and you will be amazed at what you will find. From past experience in digging shelters I have always had better luck digging that way. I have dug a lot of shelters by the way.
    I know just enough to know that I don't know what I think I know.

In memory of George " Never Fry Bacon Naked"

12. Likes codeman, BrewerMo, indianlitter1 liked this post
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgAlso here's some of the flakes and a couple small bones I found. All in a small area.

Attachment 256415

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Sorry for your loss BenK. As for digging if you want to really find a bunch of stuff start at the bottom of the slope below the overhang then dig toward the face of it and you will be amazed at what you will find. From past experience in digging shelters I have always had better luck digging that way. I have dug a lot of shelters by the way.

Thats pretty much where I found this stuff. About 10 feet beyond the drip line on the slope.

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry about Mom, losing Moms is bad stuff.
    NICE finds!!
    If you are taking these pix with your phone, try taking them in landscape mode (horizontally----sideways).
    Maybe they will post correctly then.
    Here ya go........

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-1-jpg

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-2-jpg

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-3-jpg

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-4-jpg

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-5-jpg

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-6-jpg

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-7-jpg
    Μολών λαβέ