Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  57
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the washout I referred to is the little rock bed drainage ditch below that starts about 30 yards up then goes past the down slope of the shelter and into the cave. I found a few flakes in there but it's primarily covered with leaves. We have been pretty dry here and could sure use a good gully washer. I will post more pics later this morning.

MO Hunter/Collector
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Yep, look's like a rhyolite nebo hill you got. Great Ben, nice Site!

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few things I forgot to post from the other morning. Was a busy weekend. Among these were also several more pottery pieces, a couple mussel shells, and about 50 more flakes. I started working the bottom of the hill for about ten minutes before I had to rush off, right as the washout area leads into the cave. Pictured below are a scraper, top part of something (Kramer?), and what would have been a killer Dickson. Heartbreaker! I think I'll start there my next time. Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpg

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hudson View Post
    Nice! Yep, look's like a rhyolite nebo hill you got. Great Ben, nice Site!

Physically that's what it matches up with best, but I appear to be too far south for that. It's also not that large if a piece. Hopefully an expert can give me some advice on it...really wanting to know what timeframe it's from.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spent about 45 minutes this evening poking around the drainage that goes into and through the cave. Was just looking to get lucky and find something quick since I didn't have much time. Found lots of flakes, several broken points, a couple thick scrapers/cores, and a pretty cool oval shaped blade. There's just so much to look over in this area. I dug just a few inches into the gravelly substrate to find most of this stuff. Same place I found the broken Dickson the other day. Any comments and continued suggestions are appreciated.

Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpg
    Missouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpgMissouri Rock Shelter Dig Running Thread-image-jpg
    Last edited by BenK; 03-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.

6. Likes fogman, indianlitter1, Suzy liked this post
    Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not pretty but just further evidence there's a lot of stuff here to find. Hopefully I can start finding some more full points. Crazy how I found those two nice pieces within a foot or so of each other in the first 20 minutes I was on the site last week. Just need to keep putting the time in.

flintknapper
    Post Thanks / Like
    man ben awesome...keep us posted cant wait till you find some paleo..sorry about your loss brothet..
    When you are riding in a time machine way far into the future,
    Do not stick your elbow out of the window, Or it will turn into a fossil.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, its appreciated.

This may be a tall order but is there any way to tell based on flaking patterns with the oval knife or any of the partial points what timeframe I may be dealing with. I hold hope that there's some early archaic/paleo around somewhere underneath. Most things from this site seem to fall into Late Archaic to Early Woodland so far.

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have not began to scratch the surface of what could be there. To dig the place right could take several years. Paleo could very well be there but it may take a lot of work to find it. I hope you don't get burned out. Keep digging!

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I'm definitely not going to get burned out. I've been waiting a long time for something like this! Just don't want to wear out my welcome. But my buddy and his father (owner of the land) are really interested to see what comes out of there. Upon hearing of my ventures, one of their farmers who leases out the back end of the property to raise cattle said "what the hell does he think he's going to find there?" Ha, just shows that a lot of people have no idea what is right in front of them. I told my buddy I will trade him morel mushrooms for 5 years of access to the site haha.