Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  51
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seasons winding down

All the recent rains in the area where I look has certainly stepped up Mother Nature's speed in which she decides to blanket the ground with a thickening green carpet of weeds and winter crops. I've been out a couple of times since I last posted and each time felt the urgency to cover as much ground as one can walk in a day, finding a couple each time but also knowing my seasonal journey was quickly winding down and my internal drive that steers the passion for finding artifacts shifts direction to more leisurely pursuits like fishing and gardening. Here's a few things I found, one I think is a very interesting steatite bead, no insitu of the bead. Another is a point a friend found, insitu photo seems to show the point on top of the weeds, makes me wonder if germinating weeds actually force things out from below the ground!Seasons winding down-img_1838-jpgSeasons winding down-img_1839-jpgSeasons winding down-img_1834-jpgSeasons winding down-img_1837-jpgSeasons winding down-img_1817-jpgSeasons winding down-img_1819-jpgSeasons winding down-img_1820-jpgSeasons winding down-img_1822-jpg
    Can't wait to get back out there!!!

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the groove in the bead, could that be an ear spool? Nice finds.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

3. Likes Greatbasinman, Dennis, questor, Suzy liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your probably right Tdog, never found one like it, kind of reminds me of those gauges younger people wear today, I don't have any piercings or tattoos, but if I could find another just like it, who knows, I might get that first tattoo and be sporting the ear spools, LOL!
    Last edited by Greatbasinman; 02-17-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice finds and the grass and weeds do help I have found points riding on top of the weeds . I deal with grass and weeds year round green or golden .

6. Likes Greatbasinman, hawkwalk liked this post
    PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has really gotten tough out there.I got skunk all over me last Sat. Just when I thought I had this figured out!You managed to find some killers.That big storm that is over us will wash some more out.

8. Likes Greatbasinman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdog View Post
    Considering the groove in the bead, could that be an ear spool? Nice finds.
    Earspool or labret (lip plug.) Many of the coastal groups north of you used labrets extensively from childhood.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Nice finds and the grass and weeds do help I have found points riding on top of the weeds . I deal with grass and weeds year round green or golden .
    Thanks Dennis, heck now there's some hope, maybe I'll have to walk the green carpet a couple times! Hope you and Jack get in the dark dirt soon,

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkwalk View Post
    It has really gotten tough out there.I got skunk all over me last Sat. Just when I thought I had this figured out!You managed to find some killers.That big storm that is over us will wash some more out.
    We didn't find any points last Sat. but we brought back some mud and had some great meals!

12. Likes hawkwalk liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat stuff!! Hey what is that square stem green dart? Base and haft edges look to be well ground. I'm wondering as it look much like paleo WST variant types with square bases I find 100 miles east on other side of the mts.

14. Likes Greatbasinman liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierratracker View Post
    Neat stuff!! Hey what is that square stem green dart? Base and haft edges look to be well ground. I'm wondering as it look much like paleo WST variant types with square bases I find 100 miles east on other side of the mts.
    Thanks, I've always lumped these into the Borax Lake group, Pointblank and I were talking about yours a couple of weeks ago, maybe I should rethink these, certainly could be the latest in the WST types and the beginning period of Borax Lake, which later have clearly defined squared stems. Do any of yours have any Obsidian hydration dates?

16. Likes Sierratracker liked this post