Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  7
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

Corn is still up

How long can they wait before they cut it down is my question it has been brown for weeks now. Ive never seen them leave the corn standing this long ever. They have already sprayed the cotton but the corn is still standing. Its not just a few fields either Im talking almost all of the corn in my county is still up, Im waiting on some fields to get cut so I can ask permission to look but Im afraid it might be hunting season or later before they cut it. N GA
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. Usually cut in mid-august. Too damn wet!

3. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's early. Indiana & Ohio you might get lucky with the right weather and it might come out in October, but November is a much more common time to harvest.

5. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Chert Hound
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep ,been out in the standing corn many times with snow flurries up here in Ohio...most of my farmers let me walk it still standing, better luck before they cut it...and then I wear plenty of orange during deer season, including my dog.
    O.A.S.A.R. ( Ohio Artifact Search And Recovery)

7. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the midwest they can wait til mid december to harvest corn, that's highly unusual but I've seen it happen before.

9. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a former corn farmer from MN, two things have to happen. First, the soil has to be dry enough to support the heavy farm equipment without getting stuck. If you've had plenty of rain and fields are wet that may be the issue. Second, the corn itself has to be dry enough or it will spoil once harvested and put in storage. Corn can range from 12-30% moisture when harvested. It has to be in the mid teens to harvest without extra drying. If you harvest it too wet, you (or an elevator) have to dry it with natural gas dryers which costs money and reduces your profit. Brown leaves don't mean the kernels are dry. It is better to let it air dry in the fields. So if you have sunny days with low humidity, this helps greatly.

11. Likes Jon E. Busch, Woodland, Buckeye liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well they are finally cutting them Im hoping they will disc the remains back into the soil cause after watching them harvest it its worse than a soybean field after harvest. Might have to wait on the cotton to be picked. That will be around another month. Thanks for the help.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say it's worth the wait if you're gonna be able to hunt it. When the time rolls around, go for it 100%!
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Corn and beans are still standing here and the creeks are flood flowing after 3 in of rain Might be awhile here.