Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sleeps with Dogs
    Post Thanks / Like

Paleo uniface scrapers ?

I found these a few years back by lake Travis. I saw a post by Fishflint in todays finds and thought I have some of those. My question is are these paleo scrapers first off? Is the flaking the most obvious way to tell? Feel free to post your examples of paleo uniface scapers and reasons why they are Paleo.
    Attached Images Attached Images Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_073322-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_073300-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_073215-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_072554-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_073123-jpg 
    If You fail to plan.... You plan to fail.

2. Likes uniface, Beatup69, Papajoe liked this post
    Sleeps with Dogs
    Post Thanks / Like
    couple more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_072319-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_072357-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-20180804_072421-jpg 

4. Likes uniface, Beatup69, tomclark, Woodland liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you'll study the paleo unifaces from Gault & similarly reported sites, you won't see many like those. Post-paleo, sometimes, yes. Lots.

I'm not from/in (or familiar with ) Texas, but somebody local & informed ought to have said something & didn't, so this FWIW.
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

6. Likes Tdog, rddalto liked this post
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great scrapers kriseock! I've always wondered what makes a uniface scraper a paleo scraper. This will be a fun thread to wqtch. I have some scrapers I'd like opinions on also. I'll post them at a later date hopefully.
    Denver Iowa is the mile wide city not the mile high.

8. Likes Tdog liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    My tail's waggin'!
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Post Thanks / Like
    Context is the key for finds like these. If you find Paleo related Points there would be a better chance they were Paleo, but these type of Tools were prevalent during the Archaic period as well. Without related Point types to date the site they could be from either culture.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

11. Likes FishFlint, Jay R, kliff liked this post
    Sleeps with Dogs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Context is the key for finds like these. If you find Paleo related Points there would be a better chance they were Paleo, but these type of Tools were prevalent during the Archaic period as well. Without related Point types to date the site they could be from either culture.
    Context is not always spot on .... as I find Archaic pieces in transitional camps. Makes sense to me that there will be a percentage of Paleo in Archaic sites. The area the scrapers were found was a quarry for natives... Littered with blanks and performs. I believe this quarry provided material for paleo through historic times. So unlike projectiles that we I'd primarily from the Base style, scrapers, blanks, preforms, drills without a distinct base can not be IDed without context pieces? Now some scrapers that have a certain style a named (example) San Gabriel bi-face. But these are only SG bi-face if found on or around central TX. Again context. I am thinking there has got to be a dating method to determine when the last significant reduction strikes took place. If not by style,, May be wear or patina or who knows. I work in a laboratory that has SEMs (scanning electrom microscopes) we have X-Ray equipment that can perform CT scans. With technology today I have to imagine that some time soon we will be able to date without using context.
    Any other ideas are welcome also examples of scrapers found with paleo points would be a good start. Thanks for the interest Y'all .

13. Likes FishFlint liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

15. Likes meetmaker, krisrock liked this post
    Sleeps with Dogs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's cool! Thanks Uni. Looks like I got to get the big boss to invest in Raman Spectroscopy solutions for our non electronic inspection services group Oh also, If anybody has nice Uni paleo scrapers, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see em....

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pastmeetspresent may have some valuable input here.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

18. Likes uniface liked this post