Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

2. Likes tomclark, rddalto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krisrock View Post
    Context is not always spot on .... as I find Archaic pieces in transitional camps. Makes sense to me that there will be a percentage of Paleo in Archaic sites. The area the scrapers were found was a quarry for natives... Littered with blanks and performs. I believe this quarry provided material for paleo through historic times. So unlike projectiles that we I'd primarily from the Base style, scrapers, blanks, preforms, drills without a distinct base can not be IDed without context pieces? Now some scrapers that have a certain style a named (example) San Gabriel bi-face. But these are only SG bi-face if found on or around central TX. Again context. I am thinking there has got to be a dating method to determine when the last significant reduction strikes took place. If not by style,, May be wear or patina or who knows. I work in a laboratory that has SEMs (scanning electrom microscopes) we have X-Ray equipment that can perform CT scans. With technology today I have to imagine that some time soon we will be able to date without using context.
    Any other ideas are welcome also examples of scrapers found with paleo points would be a good start. Thanks for the interest Y'all .

That's why I said "a better chance". I saw a Clovis come right out of the middle a very heavy midden area of a Ft Ancient site.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

4. Likes tomclark liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

End Scrapers

If Im at a show I cant hardly make it home without some of these. I like being early at a show you get better deals.
    Attached Images Attached Images Paleo uniface scrapers ?-sdc13230-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-sdc13233-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-sdc13234-jpg Paleo uniface scrapers ?-sdc13238-jpg 
    Last edited by Woodland; 08-06-2018 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Piece of crap comp
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schweet Haul!!

7. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Sleeps with Dogs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet finds. I guess if your getting paleos out of the piece buckets you are scoring big time. After looking at some of the hot spots Uni put up I think I have a better idea on what paleo end scrapers look like. Those are spot on. Congrats.
    Thanks Uni ! Good schoolin.
    If You fail to plan.... You plan to fail.

9. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom
    I did want to add the smaller ones along the top are archaic which I find every once in a while around my area. The bottom 2 left are considered to be Dalton and the thick ones in the middle are the Paleo. Its one of my favorite types but I did purchase those due to I cant find any Paleo around here and very little Dalton.
    To Krisrock if your original question could be answered I would call your tools a Over shot Blade which you could very easy call a Paleo knife if you wanted to and also any of those big blades you dont want let me know.
    Personal finds are surface and on private property with permission,
    Best bug repellent Ive ever used bugband.net check it out.

11. Likes tomclark liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the OP blades are certainly paleo. They are exactly like the ones i dig in context with Plainview, golondrina and one maybe even clovis.
    Resident collective leg puller!

13. Likes uniface, Woodland liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Semantics. Depends on how you define "Paleo" and when "Plano"/"Early Archaic" begins.
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uniface View Post
    Yep. Semantics. Depends on how you define "Paleo" and when "Plano"/"Early Archaic" begins.
    True.
    Resident collective leg puller!

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    This tool is mostly uniface. Found on a Late Paleo (Suwannee)/Early Archaic (Bolen) site, on the clay. Not typical Paleo tool type
    Paleo uniface scrapers ?-benttool-1-jpg
    Paleo uniface scrapers ?-benttool-7-jpg
    Paleo uniface scrapers ?-benttool-4-jpg

17. Likes uniface, riverridgerats, Woodland liked this post