Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Nashville Cats" refers to a sabre toothed cat skeleton dated ( if I remember right) 6500 b.c....archaic times. I too believe that feline predators were important to the ancients. The fossil record is a bit skewed because of La Brea and its ability to preserve specimens. There were several felines scratching scat across North America worthy of respect.....as evidenced by all those feline visages carved in stone found all over. MM

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nashville Cats is also a great jam by the Lovin Spoonful...if I had better tech ability I would provide a link to that song...hint hint...
    ..."the chase is better than the catch"...

3. Likes Briman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BabaORiley View Post
    Nashville Cats is also a great jam by the Lovin Spoonful...if I had better tech ability I would provide a link to that song...hint hint...

Never regret getting old, it's a privilege that many don't get!

5. Likes Bonneville1, CMD liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    And a big thank you brother Cisco...
    ..."the chase is better than the catch"...

7. Likes Cisco Jack, cat liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    i doubt that prehistoric humans thought the same way a modern human would regarding their environment. in a way i imagine they were more like predators of other species, in that they understood the "game" of life and death with other species and tried to coexist when appropriate and conquer when appropriate. i don't feel like the constant alertness of many species against predators is analogous to human paranoia. but i do know that just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody's out to get you.

there were a BUNCH of megafauna species that went extinct at the end of the pleistocene. here's a list of known ones ==> link

my son and i have looked for fossils a lot and have learned that there were a bunch of large and presumed dangerous critters all over the place. we know others who also look for fossils in various places and have noted that certain species always tend to show up a bunch and others seem to be much more "rare". to me this doesn't mean that the "rare" species were actually rare at the time they lived, but that they were for various reasons much better at avoiding getting themselves in situations in which they would become fossilized. but i image it was some of both.

anyway, in the page museum at la brea, one of the most astounding things i saw was an entire long wall covered with a large number of dire wolf skulls on display. sabertooth and scimitar cat fossils seem much fewer in number than most other predator fossils.

if the old days were remotely as i imagine them, if a cat had you in its sights, it was behind you and you had a problem. your best hope was that a nearby hose-noser would stomp the cat into pudding before it could crack your neck and then get run off by all the dire wolves wanting to crunch, crunch, crunch away.

9. Likes CMD, Flyjunkie liked this post
    PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Joshua pointed out I spent some amount of time with various Amazon tribes and I can relate that they have a healthy respect and at times are cautious but they do not really fear Jaguars. There are many cultures in the Amazon to consider but for many the Jaguar is the reincarnated spirit of a Shaman and a powerful force both natural and supernatural to whom there is little to no difference. Big cats are a one on one hunter. Indians usually move about in small units and frequently have dogs. Jaguars hate lots of loud noises and dogs and humans can do both. Indians say Jaguars do not like the smell of humans (but they say we non Indians smell particularly foul LOL!). Suspect the same was true for the big toothy cats here in Late Pleistocene times.

11. Likes R.J.H, cat, CMD, nicole2423, JakeVBC liked this post
    longtimefree
    Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Does anyone know any interface evidence of the Smilodon and PaleoIndians? I mean like skeletons and flaked artifacts etc? or bones of Smilodon associated with hearths, or human bones in Smilodon caves/nests?

My reading seems to indicate the Smilies went extinct around 10 thousand yrs ago and first humans in N.A. around 14 thousand yrs ago. So maybe 4,000 yr overlap?

thanks in advance
    cat there have been several documentaries over the years that touched on this subject, i couldnt find the pics i was looking for that showed a sabre toothed skull that matched two punctures in a human skull perfectly , im sure the pics are out there , this is the only one i found.

13. Likes questor, Dennis, cat liked this post
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love this stuff!! Been reading a bit more about it lately. Here is a link to a cool book American Serengeti: The Last Big Animals of the Great Plains: Dan Flores: 9787622276: Amazon.com: Books
    if you're a podcast listener the author, Dan Flores, has been a guest on Stephen Rinella's Meateater, and The Joe Rogan Expirience.
    Listen on the drive to your next point hunt!!

15. Likes cat liked this post
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the thread Cat!!... there is absolutely a fossil record, and an interface, here is another read
    4�,���-year-old cheetah, camel bones found in Nevada cave - Friday, May 21, 1999 | 5:1� a.m. - Las Vegas Sun Mobile
    An hour ago I looked at a 12,000 year old cheetah skull found in a cave near Winnemucca Nv.. humans have been there for 14,000 +
    Last edited by Terrier; 04-18-2017 at 05:33 PM.

17. Likes pointblank1, cat, kliff liked this post
    Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea for a thread. In my own county there is a very important cave that held scimitar cats. If the timeline in the article is correct, then it is very likely they were here with the paleo guys and gals. I am betting they gave them wide berth. https://www.fossilhunters.xyz/disapp...mitar-cat.html