Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wife Scores Big

My wife came home last night with 4 rolls of buffalo nickels that someone used to buy pharmacy stuff with. She cracked the first roll open all the buffalos fell out and she was shocked. Had to put them into a pill bottle. Needless to say she brought them all home for me! Haven't had a chance to look through yet for any key dates.
    The Wife Scores Big-20170207_212343-jpgThe Wife Scores Big-message_1486517525013-jpg
    Last edited by James Huffman; 02-08-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    The harder the hunt, the sweeter the prize!

Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    very cool...why would someone have that many? lol and then spend them??
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I remember is that 3 legged buffalo nickles are rare. Dont know the date though.

Been Around A While
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great acquisition! It would be interesting to know "the rest of the story" as in why someone would use collectible coinage as common currency.
    "Some of life's most exciting moments are spent near the middle of the food chain rather than at the top."

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So some meth head stole a coin collection and came to the rx to get supplies... At least you rescued them.
    Resident collective leg puller!

6. Likes paleo James liked this post
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    3-leg buffalo nickels are 1937 with a Denver mint mark.

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKrieg721 View Post
    very cool...why would someone have that many? lol and then spend them??
    Decades ago people kept coins when the style changed. Why someone would spend currency at a pharmacy is not what most would laugh out loud about.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heckuva score!
    Maybe next time zig before you zag !

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect they were stolen too. I'd hang on to 'em.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome score.

I had a similar situation when I was in my teens, around 1975, and working at my fathers SOHIO service station. I had a guy in his 20's that was coming in paying with rolled up coins for the gas he was buying. I busted open a roll of dimes one day and they were all Mercury Dimes so I got out the other rolls I had put in the safe in the past couple of days and found 2 rolls of Indian Head Pennnies, a roll of Buffalo Nickels, a roll of Jefferson Nickles and all from the '50's, and a roll of V Nickels.

Now the bad part. A weeks later this older gentleman comes in and asks if anyone had been paying with old coins. I told him yes and he says that it's his grandson and he is stealing them from him. I told him I had bought them all and offered to let him have them all back at face value and he tells me they were mostly commons and if I collected them to keep them. I felt bad and tried several times to give them back to him but refused to take them. Years later I sold all of the silver when it was up around $30 per dollar. I kept a few random coins but most got sold or traded for artifacts.
    Last edited by Steve Valentine; 02-08-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

12. Likes rgs, lillyput liked this post