Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  13
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeking Random Advice

There is a living history fair at the tech school here in town and I've been asked if I will put on flintknapping demonstrations. And they'll pay me a small stipend. So, do I want to take a day of work to knap for hours and make enough to buy a box of rocks? Obviously, I said yes.

The advice I'm seeking is "What should I wear?" The rest of the people will be dressed and acting like they are from whatever time period they are portraying, like Abe Lincoln, Busty Ross, etc. Basically, I'm really hoping someone here has done this type of thing and can give me a definitive answer. Thank you in advance!

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nogie1717 View Post
    There is a living history fair at the tech school here in town and I've been asked if I will put on flintknapping demonstrations. And they'll pay me a small stipend. So, do I want to take a day of work to knap for hours and make enough to buy a box of rocks? Obviously, I said yes.

The advice I'm seeking is "What should I wear?" The rest of the people will be dressed and acting like they are from whatever time period they are portraying, like Abe Lincoln, Busty Ross, etc. Basically, I'm really hoping someone here has done this type of thing and can give me a definitive answer. Thank you in advance!
    Did they request that you wear period clothing? I say don't feel the pressure of period costume and wear what you're comfortable in. I went to a knapping event at a historical site where they were reenacting a battle. We knappers were in our 21st century clothing while they were whizzing by in their period attire. Nobody seemed to mind. It was a little surreal though...lol

3. Likes KnappingBull, nogie1717 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The flakes can fly so I would keep the crowd at a safe distance. Kids also seem to like to pick up the sharpest flakes they spot. I'd focus most on safety and just have a good time.

5. Likes nogie1717 liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    well flintknapping has been going on a long time. Right up into modern times. So? What time period? What area? Lol. I think modern clothing is fine myself.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    wear what you are most comfortable in

⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    jeans and a flannel shirt...i admire paul bunyan though ......but do what you want
    ⊙⊙⊙

Ancient Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing but a breachcloth from skunkskin you killed and tanned by hand.
    ““There's nothing like a first arrowhead, a restored “like” button, and great alogy friends””. JH 2015-16

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fogman View Post
    Nothing but a breachcloth from skunkskin you killed and tanned by hand.
    Funny stuff Fogman. I have a friend that would do that straight up. No pun intended.
    Last edited by kirby; 12-06-2017 at 06:39 PM.

11. Likes Pointless liked this post
    Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was gonna go muskrat, but skunk would definitely show more class. Thanks for the fashion advice!

In all seriousness, thanks to all that responded.

13. Likes kirby liked this post
    Knapper, not a hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I participated in a knapping demonstration where a lot of the people in other skills demonstations were in pioneer type outfits. They were demonstrating how to make soap and a lot of other skills from the past. Most of them dressed for "back then", but all of us knappers were in our bluejeans and whatevers that we would usually be in. The people coming by and watching didn't seem to care whether we were in period dress. Take along a table and display some of your work and maybe some tools, modern and former, and anything else such as bows, arrows, and rawhide that you think they might be interested in. They would probably like to see a pine pitch glue demonstration too. Just have fun.

WA

15. Likes fogman, swataramike, Beatup69 liked this post