Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like

pine pitch glue.......

anybody make their own......it took me 3 batches to get it right so a couple weeks....i found i like using catails , charcoal from my wood furnace..and of coarse pine sap from my dads white pine trees....i found that if you have it right once it starts to cool you can pull it out of the pan with your fingers...kinda feels like taffy...on the stick i can barley put my finger nail impression in it once it sets....tested it on a knife the other day and it pretty much welded the thing....pine pitch glue.......-20171204_212620-jpg
    ⊙⊙⊙

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Mike. Looks like a generous amount per stick too.

3. Likes swataramike liked this post
    Knapper, not a hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried that twice and got junk, but I think it was because the only pine tar that I had was dried and brittle when I gathered it. I've just never had access to good fresh pine sap even though I lived over thirty years in the piney woods of E TX.

WA

5. Likes swataramike liked this post
    ⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    its easy to make but hard to get just right...all i have been doing is once i melt the sap down in a pan whatever the amount i add half charcoal and half catails..which is what i call that tall grass with the 5 inch fluffer thingy on top i take the fluffer thing and grind it down fine...then i put all of it in a jar thst i perferated holes in the lid and screen it more as i put it in the bubbling sap..make sense?
    ⊙⊙⊙

Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice lollies..dont llet the little girl get ahold of one lol..that would be a surprise for sure
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

8. Likes swataramike liked this post
    ⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol...i am a bad parent...i was holding them and said you want a lolipop....and she said no daddy yucky...i always pick on her...she knows better she helped me make them the other night
    ⊙⊙⊙

10. Likes Beatup69, Artifacts liked this post
    Collects and Knaps
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those look good Swataramike, here is a picture of some pine pitch I made this summer. pine pitch glue.......-pine-pitch-glue-jpg
    Flint Ridge is great.

12. Likes swataramike, major flaker liked this post
    ⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    i found it works better if you slowly reheat heat over a fire but not in the fire....make it like taffy again..if you heat it to much like light it on fire it will get brittle...a hot taffy feel is best...also slighty heat the obect you are going to haft..looks nice caleb
    ⊙⊙⊙

14. Likes Artifacts liked this post
    Collects and Knaps
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ok neat, I haven't tried to haft anything with it yet but when I do I'll remember that.
    Flint Ridge is great.

16. Likes swataramike liked this post
    Knapper, not a hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swat, how do you "find" the sap? Is it on trees that you have hacked to get a good flow, or just at random in the woods? Down here in the deep south, there are numerous bugs and insects that eat on pine trees and make them bleed, and where logging crews have been, there are usually a lot of skinned and torn trees all over the place. Loggers down here make a big mess. The problem is that the sap I can find is down in the bark cracks and mostly dry and brittle. In recent years I have not had the opportunity to walk any logged land where there might be an abundance of sap.

WA

WA