Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indirect

Collects and Knaps
    Post Thanks / Like

Indirect

I finished assembling an indirect tool today from some supplies Dannygroves74 sent. ATTACH]269806[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images Indirect-indirect-jpg 
    Flint Ridge is great.

⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    make the copper tip about half as long as it is...also do not have it so pointy...round but not pointy that sharp tip will not hold up to strikes ...you will lose force from the rock comprimising the copper tip at such a sharp point...
    ⊙⊙⊙

3. Likes Artifacts liked this post
    Collects and Knaps
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, I will adjust it and round off the tip. Wooden or antler striker right?
    Flint Ridge is great.

⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like antler....i have tried wood ...it just feels like there is to much compresion....if you are going to use wood use an extremly hard wood with some weight...i use a moose antler to strike with...but they also are not cheap to buy....
    ⊙⊙⊙

6. Likes Artifacts liked this post
    Collects and Knaps
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks for the information. This indirect method seems really interesting.
    Flint Ridge is great.

Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the length on the stick?? Looks short??
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

Collects and Knaps
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, its a little short, its 8 and 1/4 inches, it fits under my knee alright though. Will this length noticeably affect the shock absorbance and stuff? i tried it out and it seemed fine.
    Flint Ridge is great.

Knapper, not a hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually use indirect devices about 16-20" long, but I have one that is about 8", and it works well too. I just have to make a slight adjustment in how I secure the stick. I put a portion of the stick under my right thigh letting the point end come out between my thighs. That has worked well for me.

One little thing I do in most of my indirect percussion that i have not seen other knappers do is spot the tip of the indirect device (horizontal punch) on the platform; then pull up and toward my body on the stone; then hold the pressure while I hit the indirect punch. I think that pressure helps make the flake run longer.

For strikers I have used copper, hickory wood, oak wood, moose antler and elk antler. They all give good results most of the time, but sometimes I "sense" that a particular one of them is the best for a particular flake or series of flakes. I can't explain the sensing, but it comes from practice. As for weight of striker, you will have to play with that to see what works best for you in a particular case. For me, it is better to have a striker that is a little too heavy than one that is any too light. The same goes for my direct percussion. Strikers that are too light tend to initiate flakes that hinge or step. That is BAD.

I have a variety of sizes of indirect tools with various widths at the contact point (tip). Those widths can do a lot to affect the width of the flake that comes off.

WA
    Last edited by Chippintuff; 10-01-2017 at 09:02 PM.

11. Likes major flaker, Artifacts liked this post
    ⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    like freezecracked said you do not want any of the stick hanging out of the other side of your leg..chippin just added a lot of good info....practice with it figure out what you like best we all prob do it a little different ...its the basics you need then just develope it to your own style
    ⊙⊙⊙

13. Likes Artifacts liked this post
    ⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    as you can see caleb you will get 20 different answers from people...make the stick then practice
    ⊙⊙⊙

15. Likes Artifacts liked this post