Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluting nipples

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluting nipples

So I copied a handheld indirect fluting jig someone at Flintridge had. Pretty cool concept. I tried to flute a couple last night but both broke into several pieces. I am pretty sure the platform was not set up right. Could you guys take picks of your fluting nipples and post them so I can get a look at them?

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see that jig, sounds like something I'd like. As for platforms, I scanned an old paper a friend made me on fluting when we traded for a guillotine jig. I can email it to you. Also; Woody has an excellent video on fluting that everyone should own. He's using a Sollberger jig but the concepts remain the same. Pugent Sound has a synopsis with diagrams here: Puget Sound Knappers

Post Thanks / Like
    Before and after. I flute by direct or indirect, so an nipple for a jig might be different.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fluting nipples-img_3603-jpg Fluting nipples-img_3605-jpg Fluting nipples-img_3606-jpg 
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. - Jack Handey

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point LL, there would be differences in nipple treatment if you were doing antler, copper, this jig, that jig, etc. but I think the general concepts would be similar.

⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was daniel danny...i think you are talking about the jig he had where he could flute with an ishi stick..
    ⊙⊙⊙

6. Likes dannygroves74 liked this post
    PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it was Daniel. He said he can do it with indirect as well. I made one yesterday.

8. Likes swataramike liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Too Far From The Plains But Still In Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made a decent (for me) Clovis yesterday. Sorry I didn't get nip pics for you.

10. Likes swataramike, dannygroves74 liked this post
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fluting, Blackwell, video...where to send money. I have the same jig, (sollberger) but don't wanna hurt myself with it.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I set up the nipple the same way for both direct and indirect. I just abrade and round over the one for pressure more. I'll take a pic next time I make one.

13. Likes dannygroves74 liked this post
    PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made 3 different jigs. Different lengths. I did find out that the "throat" has to be fairly narrow. If it's too wide it will let the point flex too much and snap. I plan on making about 6 jigs total, all different lengths. From 2" up to about 8". Pretty easy to make. Would be easier if I had a router though.