Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  124
Page 1 of 1357 12311511015011001 ... LastLast
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What have you knapped today?

Thought this thread may help out with the folks that just don't want to start a thread every time they knap something.
    Also to give other knappers an idea of other folks work and styles.

So, here's my first entry.
    I wanted to knap out a point for a friend in Michigan. I tried twice with two nice pieces of chert but snapped on me both times.
    Since I ran out of decent chert, I had to go into my box of "Others" and pulled out a piece of white quartz.
    My last try at white quartz was strange because it was soft and flaked too easily.
    This time was quite the opposite. Very hard like the pink quartz that I have previously worked on, and full of challenges.

Here it is:

We're not hunting for the perfect arrowhead. Arrowheads are hunting for the perfect people.

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's one that's going to be headed to Funky Cold Medina.
    LillyP sent me a wonderful box of goodies a while back and I didn't want to touch anything until I got my new knapping tools for Christmas.
    Well.......Once again I've spent that money "elsewhere", so I'm back to knapping with the ole' beaters.

Here's a piece of novaculite that our very own Scotto had gifted her with.
    I hope you like what I've done with it LillyP.
    I'm not going to show you what else that I've knapped for you. I will tell you that it's an ergo tool made out of that piece of sweet patina rootbeer.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminEble View Post
    Thanks for showing the point. Not many modern points are made from quartz. Is there anything that makes quarts unusual, in comparison to other materials?
    Good question Ben.
    This particular quartz as well as the pink quartz that I knap require very heavy strikes compared to most of the local cherts that I've worked on. Every now and then I come across a piece of chert that is hard as steel.
    Unlike the pink quartz, the white quartz has rectangular crystal like inclusions that you are forced to reduce and discard.
    Do you have any type of quartz locally to try?

Hey guys n gals....the title of this thread is What have you knapped today.
    Not, What finished point have you knapped today.
    By all means, post up even if you've broken open a nice piece of chert.

Amateurs like myself, on up to seasoned vets like Marty. It's all good.
    We're not hunting for the perfect arrowhead. Arrowheads are hunting for the perfect people.

4. Likes major flaker, Brady Epperson liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on this some today. Just glass and not done yet but it is coming along.
    Attached Images Attached Images What have you knapped today?-100_7517-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7518-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7519-jpg 

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

colorful chert

The last time I was looking for points I found these two pieces of chert. They had some good color and I wanted to make something out of them. No paticular style just what the rock would let me make. The little one was a knot with cortex,I was lucky to get anything out of it and the other was a slick piece of material just not much bigger than the point. By the way those are some nice points you guies made.
    Attached Images Attached Images What have you knapped today?-100_1056-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_1055-jpg 

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished it up today. Still needs notched but I am not quite there skill wise yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images What have you knapped today?-100_7520-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7521-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7523-jpg 

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Ben. Loos like that works rely well. Are you hitting the cylinder on the end like a chisel strait in? Be interesting to see a pic of how you are holding and striking it.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made a point out of quartz. It is ok. Turned out a little fatter tan I would of liked.

3rd pic is of some glass a friend gave me to try out.

Last two pics are of a slab of mahogany obsidian the same friend picked up for me. It sure is sweet looking. Don't think I will be working it any time soon though.
    Attached Images Attached Images What have you knapped today?-100_7529-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7532-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7527-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7537-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7536-jpg 

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am new to this so I am still learning. So far though I have not had a hard time going from one to the other. Just have to remember that glass does not take any where near as much force to brake as quartz does. Quartz is a very hard rock and even the good stuff has a lot of flaws in it. Getting a good spall has been the hard part for me. If I do get one it is not to bad to make a point out of it though. The best quartz so far has been a milky white to clear.

Glass has been a lot better to learn on for me. Lot more consistent and predictable.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worked some of the colored glass my friend gave me. The green one I gave back to him and the pink one still needs corner notched.

Last pic is of an old bottle bottom my wife found. It is very very thick. When I was working the others the kid from next door was over and wanted to try his hand at it so I told him to grab some glass from my box and go for it. I think he did pretty good for his first try. He left it for me to finish up. Think I am going to try and make a expanding stemmed point out of it.

It is very thick and I think it will be a good chance to try out the copper bopper I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images What have you knapped today?-100_7546-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7534-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7535-jpg What have you knapped today?-100_7547-jpg 

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!
    Ben, though it is hard as steel, you are truly blessed to have material of such size in your area.
    The rock that I work on is usually no bigger than a D battery.

Very nice flake work you're achieving.

Here is a quartzite point that I knapped out.
    It was much nicer as a preform but not too bad for my first time working this material.