Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ground penatrating radar for artifacts

Relic Hunter

ground penatrating radar for artifacts

Has anyone ever used ground penatrating radar for stone artifacts? I know they use GPR for a number of things but the units are big and cumbersome, so it's not very practical for personal use.
    i do a lot of metal detecting when not in the field for rocks, although some times I have done both at the same time.
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a hand held ground penatrating radar unit, with a display screen to view shapes, sizes, and depth??
    Now..don't tell me you've never thought about it!!! I have for years, especially when i've been walking for hours with no luck. The technology is there, and certainly the demand, this forum alone! We need some tech head to get started. And maybe someone has already...

What do you think??

2. # ADS

Relic Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    It has been brought up here numerous times before.
    Wouldn't work. Radar wavelengths are too long to detect and identify things that small and non-reflective. That sort of thing works for finding tombs and possible bodies or large objects. Even then you can't get much detail - just large blobs that have to be excavated to tell for sure. There is no such technology that can detect let alone tell the difference between a 5 inch clovis point and any other random rock.
    well now that's a shame, but hey, technology changes everyday, who knows, right? Said we could never get to the moon!!

Tribal Council Member
    Sonar will work to soe degree. Problem is all the debitage, grind stones, tree roots etc. Might as well juts dig all of it.
    Resident collective leg puller!

Seem to be mostly designed to find masses and anomalies in the ground, but nothing specific. Just as well use dowsing rods.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Desert Rat
    It won't work for all the reasons Mojave pointed out. However there is a surface hunting radar trick that really works. That would be trained horny toads. They are difficult to train properly but once they figure it out they are unbelievably effective.

Attachment 125362
    Attachment 125363
    Last edited by arrow719; 02-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    AWW I like them - wish we had some around here. The big red ants are returning so maybe we can get some started here again. Wish the little guys would eat fire ants.

Quote Originally Posted by arrow719 View Post
    It won't work for all the reasons Mojave pointed out. However there is a surface hunting radar trick that really works. That would be trained horny toads. They are difficult to train properly but once they figure it out they are unbelievably affective.

Attachment 125362
    Attachment 125363

Tribal Council Member
    Arrow I had a regular toad in East Texas but all he could find was Gary's so I had to let him go.
    Ryno likes this.
    I know just enough to know that I don't know what I think I know.

In memory of George " Never Fry Bacon Naked"

lol..I have found a few of those toads..shoulda paid more attention!
    Not all those who wander are lost.

I've looked into it extensively. One of the areas I hunt has very large, thick walled pottery vessels several feet in diameter buried in compacted sand & soil, and the inside of the pots are typically a much different density (they hold compacted moist soil during the dry season.) But starting at about $15,000 for a decent unit I haven't been able to convince the wife that it is a good investment, that may or may not work. I still have it on my regular check list for craigslist (Unimog, GPR, & more flat file cabinents. A unimog, with a GPR and built in Flat File cabinets would be awesome.)

This old picture shows the size of them.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Dang, can't ya rent one Joshua.........It's fun to see all the different items on the Kellycodetector site. If I was closer to the gulf I'd get one of those water beach land ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast