Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Drones

Rock Picker
    Post Thanks / Like

Drones

I know this can be a very touchy subject but I was recently in a best buy and started looking at drones. The technology is amazing with top notch video quality and GPS positioning that makes flying them easy as can be. I still have a hard time shelling out over 1k dollars for one but it got me thinking about the possibilities of finding new camps, teepee rings, overhangs and charcoal piles and maybe even the random shed antler bonus
    (all on private land with permission of course). Does anyone have any thoughts on them? Are they a good tool or cheating? I want to hear the good and bad...
    "Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"
    Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like
    Once someone figures out the battery component, I think they'll be much more useful and common. The $1000 ones fly for about 20-30 minutes, that's not a lot of recon time. The better the camera, the less useful a smartphone or tablet screen becomes, so eventually you need to take the imagery back to a computer to really see it in detail. It's a lot of weight to carry if you are hunting isolated areas.

If you have a site that you hunt, I could see using one of the cheap ones to simply go up and take some pictures of the site and features. That might be neat if the resolution on google earth isn't good.

3. Likes PaleIO liked this post
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, a lot of good things can be done with overhead observation. I would hate to see them used for scouting for game, I visualize panicked animals driven out of their comfort zone. Privacy would be the other issue. I have no trouble with people blowing them out of the sky if they are found trespassing or spying. MM

Rock Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the open season on trespassing drones. Our state has already passed rules against harrasing wildlife and using them to gain advantage while hunting. I think they could be very useful and fun if used in the right setting but no doubt we will always have idiots that will push the limits and laws as far as they can.
    "Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"
    Aldo Leopold