Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  16
    Professional Amateur
    Post Thanks / Like

Where I've been lately and my ususual arrowhead adventures around work.

Just to catch up: I was posting some pics from work in the photography thread back in February when we were working with a group from Americorps and they left the day before our first college spring break group arrived to build trail with us. This first group was a week ahead of all the other schools and so they worked with us where we had been working with Americorps and where we've been working through the winter. 1998 feet of trail built with this group in only 3 days which is phenomenal and more footage per person per hour than any other group by far. Very hard workers with sharp minds and a hardcore work ethic.
    Where I've been lately and my ususual arrowhead adventures around work.-output-jpg

These girls wanted to get up and get ready before the sun to try to squeeze in a quick hike before work (powerwalking back just in time to inhale some breakfast) and I told them I'm up for it if you are.
    Where I've been lately and my ususual arrowhead adventures around work.-dscf1032-jpg

And then, after saying our goodbyes and letting those two at least pick out a couple arrowheads (didn't have enough for everyone), I spent my birthday (March 2) bringing tools to the camp down south and helping Shauna get the trail cleared, marked, and sectioned off for the incoming spring break groups from 2 to 3 colleges at a time.
    Where I've been lately and my ususual arrowhead adventures around work.-dscf1071-jpg

I then had one day off to get packed and prepared to be gone for a whole month with no internet and poor cell service. There is no shortage of pictures and even just keeping it to the little arrowhead scavenger hunt thing that I ended up starting on the side, it wound up still being a hell of a lot of pictures, so for the ease of uploading (not being limited to 8 pics at a time and having to "go advanced" before uploading each time) and easy organized viewing, I uploaded them to this external Imgur album instead.
    http://imgur.com/a/22bi0

(Let me know if anyone has trouble viewing it on their gadgets or doo dads and I can upload and copy descriptions over to here, but as far as I know Imgur shows up fine on most of those things)

Just thought those who remember me from when I was around more might be interested in seeing what I've been up to lately and might at least vicariously enjoy the little arrowhead easter eggs that I left out there for those adventurous enough to explore and find the same cool spots that I found. It really has been an awesome adventure and opportunity to meet and have an impact on a LOT of cool, young people many of whom are clearly going places in this world and forget, if only for awhile, that I live in a small town where nothing much happens and so many people are so much the same. Everything was so fast paced and time was so short that just when you've finally got everyone's names down and gotten to know and like each other, it's already time to say "Goodbye!" but still it was hopefully as clear in my eyes and words as it was in theirs that it was a pleasure meeting them and it would be nice to cross paths again one day, if not next year for another spring break. When it comes to cool pictures and cool stories and awesome views and trailbuilding pics and student pics and bugs and birds and critters and some of the presentations and other activities, this is just the tip of the iceberg. That's why it's taken me so long to post. Life hasn't slowed down long enough to give me much extra time to get more organized or even caught up on messages. Happy easter, everyone!
    I'm getting better, one failure at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool DanDiesel, thanks for checking in!

3. Likes DanDiesel liked this post
    Professional Amateur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Joshua. If the album pics don't work, let me know and I'll upload them here. With an 8 pic limit it should take 5 posts to copy them over but it really was such an awesome month and adventure that I think at least a few might enjoy it so it's worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The link works great for me. I see the pictures and a description under them. Haven't had time to go through them, just logged in and noticed you were here. Back to the grill because the guests are hungry!

6. Likes DanDiesel liked this post
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wartburg? Only about 30 minutes away from me
    March 2nd is my birthday too. Small world.

8. Likes DanDiesel liked this post
    Professional Amateur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only just saw your comment, CoachG. ...and only just saw that it looks like you're VERY local. We DO have a Wartburg, TN (closer to an hour's drive for me but probably coming from the same direction as I too am on the plateau) but that group was from a college out in Wartburg, Iowa. Awesome group of some hardcore kids who picked up right away on what needed to be done and despite losing a work day to bad weather they still got more trail built per person than any other group. It just sucks that their spring break was alone in being the earliest and so they missed the awesome camp and awesome views, and my little arrowhead scavenger hunt, and the protected species bird presentation, and many other cool things that weren't even in that album I linked to ( My little spontaneously salted arrowhead scavenger hunts around work. - Album on Imgur ). Just for sheer numbers of pics, I had to just focus on narrowing it down to just the arrowhead related ones and the most concise descriptions that I could manage. It really was an awesome time and a really cool thing to be a part of. For my part, the arrowheads that I hid and that were found by the explorers and adventurers in the groups I'm sure make a small difference and might help get more of the students talking about coming out to build trail with us next year. But really, the main attraction is mostly the natural beauty that is abundant and plentiful out here and the idea of going on a road trip and crazy adventure with a bunch of other students (mostly strangers) from your school, far from your comfort zone. For me, it was just really nice to spend a whole month with a little more cultural diversity again and for a little while forget that I live in a small town where nothing ever happens and so many are so much alike. ...and the work environment and ever changing view is hard to beat.

Where I've been lately and my ususual arrowhead adventures around work.-dscf1543-jpg

10. Likes dannygroves74, major flaker liked this post
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wartburg, Iowa. My bad. Ha. Very cool stuff you've got going on. I worked at a state Park for a a couple years as a seasonal in my college days. We went to answer helped out on the Cumberland traIL for a couple days once.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    So where is that swimming hole???????????

13. Likes flintface liked this post
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing Dan. I grew up not far from Wartburg College. I spent many evenings fishing for catfish on the Wapsispinicon River.